1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just purchased my first mod for the new truck

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by hunterdan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. hunterdan

hunterdan New Member

Decided to go with the programmer first. Mainly because I was able to sell the old one from my Frontier, and pick up a Diablo Sport Predator for basically the same price. Really looking forward installing it. About how long does it take for the tunes to load? The superchips I had took about 10 minutes of loading and checking. Next up is going to be exhaust. I'm currently leaning towards using a Cherry Bomb elite muffler, single in, single out 3". I don't want to spend too much on it, but I want to try and do it right the first time (minimal drone and just the right amount of exterior sound). Will probably do a small 1" lift in the front once it warms up a little bit as well. Anyway, excited to get the programmer, and get it installed.

Dan
  2. Jay

Jay Rockstar

I just loaded the 87 Octane Tune...took about 10 mins and thats with pulling the fuses. Good Stuff.
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

It doesn't take long at all to install maybe 10-15 minutes at the most. You don't HAVE to pull fuses, just turn off your radio before you do the install and don't touch anything with power until you're done, i.e. windows, seats if they are power, radio, heater. As for the exhaust, I'd wait because you might just want the full exhaust for a little more oomph on top of the DSP.
  4. hunterdan

hunterdan New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing. As for the exhaust, it will be cat back, not just a muffler swap. My debate right now is single or dual. I think the deciding factor is going to be what the shop is going to want to charge me.

Dan
  5. Jay

Jay Rockstar

Good luck with the truck dude. I was like a little kid waiting for DSP to arrive... I think you'll enjoy the results. I was pumped about what I got out of the 87 Octane Tune and there is a lot more you can do with it. If you have any issues or questions shoot 06monteSS a message... he is the resident DSP superhero.
  6. hunterdan

hunterdan New Member

I will probably be contacting him in the future since I'm sure I will have questions about the DSP.
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

cool man, congrats!!! yep, any questions, let me know...
  8. hunterdan

hunterdan New Member

It came in today, but my calibration wasnt supported, but I have the cable coming in to update it. The date on the tuner is 10/08/09 so I'm hoping it's new enough that it will support my truck. Currently it's running 9r09.

Dan
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

After you install the tune you chose make sure you adjust the Long Term Fuel Trims/ Injector slope. Its explained how to adjust on the Diablo website. This adjustment makes a BIG differance.
  10. hunterdan

hunterdan New Member

Unfortunately, the tuner I bought isn't new enough to work with my truck. So I am going to sell it, and use the money to get the exhaust done. Thanks to 06montess for the help. Dissapointed I couldn't use the programmer, but I will look into it again in a few months. I have my exhaust figured out, so it shouldn't be too long before I get it done.

Dan