Just rebuilt Front Diff - Now clicking sound

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Kmgagnon4, May 7, 2009.

1. Kmgagnon4

Kmgagnon4 New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the site. I have a 2006 Z71 4x4 Suburban GU6 front diff code (3.42)

I just recently rebuilt the front diff with new bearings and seals. I rebuilt it because a leak developed and it ended up being run low and caused bearing damage. At that time it was a grinding rough noise.

Well since putting the truck back together I now have a clicking sound. It doesn't start till about 10 mph and goes "faster" as I increase speed. But the sound stops about 45 mph. Truck rides smooth and there is no grinding or rough sounding noise from the diff. it will have the clicking sound in turns and if I put it in 4x4 it increases and stays there no matter what speed.

I can't believe it's the bearings again because the miles that has since been put on it would have just toasted them..

I was thinking that during the tear down that the CV joints might have been "disturbed" enough to warrant replacement. But what I don't understand is why the noise goes away. Since it goes away it's leading me away from the CV joints.

so right now I'm stumped. Any help anyone can offer would be great!

Thank you

2. Kmgagnon4

Kmgagnon4 New Member

Anyone? Any idea if it's a CV joint?

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would get a stethoscope and put the truck up on stands so I could listen to the noise up close. This is the best way to isolate it