Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

k-1500 radiator question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RATRODKING, Dec 14, 2010.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys,
    i have a 1990 K-1500 4x4 with 5.7 engine. the radiator is just over 2 years old.
    last week i noticed a small leak on my driveway. popped the hood and there was anti-freeze going down the passengers side vertical plastic tank, just under the radiator cap. i hosed it all down, bought a new cap, and it has been fine, until today.
    last week when this happened we had a cold front come through, dipping into the 30's.

it has been fine, like i said, until i checked it today. and although it aint no where near as bad as it was last week, there is a small trace of anti-freeze that looks like its coming from where the plastic tank and the aluminum fins are pressed together.
    and how do they get the plastic tank to bond with the aluminum cooling tubes and fins ? sealant ?

have any of you had any troubles with this type radiator ? could it just be the cold weather ? im sure it shouldn't be doing this, but it was fine last week after the cold weather went away.
    you guys up north have it a lot colder then down here in florida.

thanks

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a gasket and the tabs that are pressed over it.. that really is it. We dont have so much of a problem with the leaks there more to do with the tanks themselves cracking in the cold.. I would see about the warranty since alot of parts like that have a lifetime parts warranty, and that one is failing from manufacture defect. At the very least you are looking at a new rad since you dont want to have the same problem when it is 100 outside and that seal lets go..

3. RATRODKING

thanks for the info murdog..... the previous owner had the radiator installed about 6 months before i bought it.... so no receipt. bummer.
    looks like i will be changing it here in the near future.
    thanks again.

4. murdog94

Good luck, and be sure you fill the system properly so you dont get an air buble in the heater core...

5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The BEST radiators i think are the full aluminum ones...just dont kknow if they actually make them for our trucks..but i have one in the Camaro.
    I need to check, because i want one for a DIESEL 6.5l !!!!!

6. murdog94

They make custom to fit....

7. RATRODKING

after wiping the small area yesterday where i seen the anti-freeze, i looked today and it was dry...... strange...
    will see what happens here in the near future.
    thanks