Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

K&N 57 vs. Spectre 9900 Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by tasker777, Jul 3, 2009.

1. tasker777

tasker777 New Member

I've been thinking about adding a cold air intake to my 05 5.3L Silverado. The two brands I'm looking at are the K&N 57-3050 and the Spectre 9900. As everyone knows there is a big cost difference.

Is the K&N 57 actually that much better then the Spectre 9900 or are you really just paying more for the name?

From everything I've read I'm leaning towards the Spectre cause it seems as though it does the same thing but for less $$$.

2. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I thought I would give your post a bump....I was wondering the same thing. Anybody know of any testing that was done independantly on the various CAI's

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I also know that Summit Racing has there brand CAI, and it looks just like a K&N and it's about $75 cheaper. I am going to buy one of the Summit one's for my S-10 with the plastic tube, so I will let you know what happens with that.

4. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

i actually picked the spectre cold air intake over the 77 series k&n.
    the difference is the money.
    i notice more mpg', better sounding engine, and power..

i being only 18 years old couldnt afford a 400 dollar k&n..
    the spectre one cost me 1/4 of the k&n.

5. tasker777

tasker777 New Member

Okay sounds good just let me know how it goes. By the way when do you plan on making this happen? I was thinking about getting the Spectre in the next month or so and was hoping to hear from you before I do. Maybe I'll get the Summit Racing one instead. It was one that I read up on but it's still more $$$ then the Spectre.

6. tasker777

tasker777 New Member

Thanks for the info. All the research I've also done is showing me that the only difference is the $$$$.

Did you find any difference with the motor running colder or hotter?? I've read a few posts saying that it makes the truck run hotter.

Do you feel the sound under the hood was to aggressive or does an exhaust system drown out the sound of the CAI?

7. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah I've got a K&N on mine which replaced my old spectre and I definately regret to waste the money. I bought it because I thought it would bring more hp or better mpg but it is no better than the spectre.

8. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

It looks to me like the difference is the spectre has a metal tube and the K&N has a plastic tube. Since the metal tube is going to create more heat your not getting as much 'cold air' as with the plastic tube, so your not getting as much HP since the spectre is giving more heat to the engine. This is just what i've heard, but i have the K&N on mine and i love it. You can search on ebay and see if theres any deals thats where i got mine for 180 including shipping.

9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am going to be doing that intake probably at the end of September, because I have a cowl induction hood I just bought for my S-10 and it's going to need painted. Honestly I had a K&N 77 series on my Silverado with the metal tube, and it did run about 20 degrees hotter. It also made my engine backfire noticeably, I took the intake off and the backfiring went away???? Just my experience but I would never buy another metal tube intake.

10. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Why did you get rid of your silverado? i think i remember seeing a post about you selling it but i never found out why you sold it.