K&N Cold Air Intake not legal in CA?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by elittle, Jun 10, 2012.

1. elittle

elittle Member

According to the K&N website, the K&N cold air intake isn't legal in CA. Does anyone know how they could tell if I was using one? Like will it not pass a smog test or will the smog check people report me to the gestapo or something? Or would the dealer report it? I can't see how anyone would know unless it impacts a smog test in some way where I wouldn't be able to pass it. Thanks for any help.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Maybe things changed but the last time I had a vehicle tested in Ca. they did an underhood visual check, any non-stock parts were required to have a CARB board certificate attached to them or the vehicle automatically failed the test.
    They normally wont catch you out on the road unless your vehicles such a gross polluter that it has a trail of smoke.

Sounds like K&N decided to stop paying the CARB board/Smog Nazi's mordida and got themselves black listed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I will have a reply from K&N later today for ya..

4. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats wierd. I have a K&N CAI and It came with a CA Legal sticker, I wonder if and when it changed

5. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Just swap your intake when you go for the inspection. Otherwise, I'm sure you'd be fine.

6. Scooter

I just smogged my truck like 3 months ago and they never even opened the hood, I passed with flying colors running straight pipes with hollowed cats...lmao

7. elittle

elittle Member

Do you know which model you have? I'm looking around to see if I can find an older model somewhere with the CARB sticker on it...

8. Scooter

I bought it from autoanything.com heres the stats
    K&N 77 Series Metal Intake Kit
    (77 Series Air Intake)
    [TABLE="width: 196"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: description"]Color/Style[/TD]
    [TD]Polished[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: description"]Vehicle[/TD]
    [TD]2006 Chevy Silverado[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: description"]Submodel[/TD]
    [TD]1500, 4.8L V8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: description"]Part #[/TD]
    [TD]77-3050KP[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: description"]SKU[/TD]
    [TD]2595069[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

9. Scooter

10. elittle

elittle Member

I have the 5.3 liter. According to K&N, the legality of the cold air intake depends on the CARB reviewing it for the specific model year of truck, so while the 77 series cold air intake may be legal on a 2011 Silverado, it isn't necessarily legal on a 2012 until the CARB tests it and says it is... I hate California. Soon I may just put one on and take it off before smog like suggested above. The process can take something like a year to get the cold air intake CARB approved so maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to take it off if it becomes legal in 2013.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012