1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

K&N FIPK 57 series vs 77 series??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kid clever38, Aug 8, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

Is there a big difference between the 57 and 77 series? I see on the K&N site that the 77 series is a bit louder and the 57 series gets a bit more hp but my question really is WHY?? What is the difference between the two (which look exactly alike) that makes them...well...different??

Does anyone have experience with BOTH (yes I know many of you have the kit but do you know about both??)??

I just bought my truck this week and hopefully it'll be my first mod. Since I'm not much for doing a whole heckuva lot of crazy appearance mods, I'd really like to make the engine compartment something to look at. I like the 77 series which is polished aluminum but it gets less HP than the 57 so I'm torn between the two models. Any advice is very welcome! Thanks!
  2. Slow1500

Slow1500 New Member

I was talking to a buddy of mine (asst mgr) at 0reillys who has messed with about all of them. If you want the looks and not much gain go with the 77. Since it is metal it absorbs and holds heat, which in turn heats the air coming into the engine...the hotter the air the less power it will make. Black plastic is the better choice. That's why you get more power from the 57. Same principle with completely chromed out engines...they tend to run hotter because of the chrome wants to trap in heat.
  3. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

thanks for the insight...I think I'll just stick w the 57 series then. Anyone have anything to say about the 57...like it, love it, loathe it?? Any opinions welcome.:mdr:
  4. 4x4_only

4x4_only New Member

The 57 is a good kit. I have one on my '07 and it took a whopping twenty minutes to install and you can feel the difference. The motor breathes a lot deeper and it sounds healthier too. When i take it easy on the gas, it gets better mileage; however after i knew it ran better, my foot somehow got a littler heavier too!
  5. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

Well I'm looking forward to getting it mounted soon after I return from FL. Hey, anyone know where I can pick one up for less than 3 Bens??? I mean, its not terrible but if I could find it cheaper then why pay more right?? :neutral:
  6. 4x4_only

4x4_only New Member

Check Ebay or Craigslist.

I'm a big fan of Craigslist, you can find some good stuff on their. Picked up a spare set of tires that were relatively new 35x12.50's mounted on 17" MT Classics for like 450 bucks.
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

DUDE!!! I just bolted one on this morning. My mom bought it for me as a random gift. Gotta love her.

I was backing out of my drive way this morning to go get some wood and i felt less restriction. I got onto the highway, no one behind me, and i stopped then floored it. My heart stoped for half an hour. The engine rumbled so beautifuly. It made me feel really small. It had this open sound. It makes me wonder how big it'll sound after i put a magnaflow cat back on it. If i were you and you have an electric fan (so you can put on a TBS later) i would go with the 77. I have an Poweraid TBS on mine right now and that combined with the 77 is gorgeos. It also accelerated alot quicker, ALOT quicker. I'm completly for the 77.
  8. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

Got any shots of the engine compartment after mounting the 77?? And what does having an electric fan have to do with anything, not doubting your knowledge...I just don't know.
  9. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i have heard the plastic is the way to go as slow1500 was saying. more power from the plastic pipes because the metal pipes trap heat and heat the air. colder air is better and will give you more power. i would say go with the 57 just cause how many people see the engine anyway??
  10. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

The electric fan makes more room infront of the engine so you can bolt on a throttle body spacer AND cold air intake.

Attached Files: