K&n fipk/cai

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Mindi51982, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

Got my K&N installed over the weekend. I noticed a bit of a performance increase and definitely a MPG boost. Driving expressway from South Bend to East Lansing average about 70-75mph, I got around 17mpg. Normally I would've gotten 15, so I was impressed with that. My biggest complaint is that the air box doesn't fit up against the fender. Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks good, glad to hear you noticed an increase in gas mileage. Always good for the pocket. And maybe you can get an extension from the air flow sensor to the tube? Just get a longer piece of the rubber.

3. Mindi51982

You can't do that. The air box bolts to the bottom of the engine bay/fender. If you move the air box, you have to drill new holes. Seems like kind of a crappy set up by the K&N engineers, unless the box isn't suppose to fit snug against the fender. I would think it is suppose to since it came with rubber seals to put all around the box.

4. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks good.

If the sides went all the way to the fender could you get enough air flow through just that hole on the fender. It doesn't look like it would provide the necessary air flow.

5. Mindi51982

That's exactly what I was thinking...but that's how it was with the old air box (I'm pretty certain anyway). The hole in the air box went up against the hole in the fender. I thought that there were air flow "ducts" coming from the front of the grill that leads to the hole in the fender for the air box...that's what I was told anyway. :neutral:

6. 2008blackWT

2008blackWT Rockstar

Ive installed a few intakes in the past and if i remember right they always fit snug up against the fender. even at that the rubber seal makes it look like it is sapposed to be up against the fender. I am building my own intake for my truck and im not going to have a air box for a while.

7. Mindi51982

I might take it into O'Rieley's to see what they have to say about it. Maybe the factory sent the wrong box.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I had 96 Suburban which used same kit and it did fit against the inside fender. I would call K&N tech line.

9. Mindi51982

I will have to do that.

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hey MIndi, Ive be looking at your pictures and I havent figuired it out yet but it looks like a part is missing on the intake tube. It been a few years since Ive worked on 96-99 trucks. If I figuire it out I will post.