1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

K&N or AEM intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by chevymaniac, Sep 5, 2008.

1. chevymaniac

chevymaniac New Member

Hi i have an 05 chevy silverado K1500, 5 -spd. I want to put a cold-air intake on my truck and i have narrowed it down to the K&N or the AEM brute force intake. I was wondering which seems better from those who have them installed?
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i dont know which would be better ... i would however recomend a plastic intake tube as opposed to an polished metal one.. you get more hp with the plastic one ..bc the plastic does not absorb as much heat therefore making the air cooler in turn more hp...:rules:
  3. chevymaniac

chevymaniac New Member

awesome thanks for that info
  4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ive been looking at both of them myself for my 07 silverado. Haven't decided yet on which one to go with. aem says it takes a little longer to install over the K&N but I'm kinda leaning towards the AEM myself.
  5. chevymaniac

chevymaniac New Member

the k&n intake has a nylon tube where the AEM has the polished, does the nylon absorb heat?
  6. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

AEM comes in Polished or PowderCoated. I'd go with the powder myself for heat reasons
  7. chevymaniac

chevymaniac New Member

yea your right im going with the AEM thanks
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Lot's of intakes out there to choose from. i have a K&N on our suburban and love it but have also heard the AFE and the Volant are the better and I have not heard as much about the AFE. Do yourself a favor and do your homework on-line and look at the dyno charts etc. for each intake and read what others have to say about them before deciding. You will also want to decide on oiled or dry filter. A common myth is that oiled filters cause havoc with the MAF sensor on the intake. I have cleaned and re-oiled my K&N numerous times as well as the AFE I had on my Duramax for awhile and had zero problems. Rule of thumb is DO NOT OVER-OIL. The AFE is also proven to have the best filter element (Pro-guard 7) as far as the filters go.
  9. turkey

turkey New Member

If you are concerned with heat issues then either powdercoated or polished metal are going to be the wrong way to go. Both are still made of steel which has a much higher thermal conductivity than the polymers that k&n and Volant use. Heat will detract form the power you can make, colder denser charges are capable of more power, but the ammount of loss form an intake tube will not be considerable.

I prefer the k&n because I have had fitting issues with the volant. Like dwill3015 said, do your homework as to what will produce the best benifit for your engine.
  10. sdpbob

sdpbob Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the K&N intake on ym truck and love it, right before I bought it I was gonna get the metal intake tube but was told that all it does is absorb heat and take away power from what your trying to create with getting an aftermarket intake, so your best bet to do it get the K&N or the Volant because they have the plastic tube, and the K&N is easy to install took me about 30 min. start to finish.