1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

K20 clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jake Aga, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jake Aga

Jake Aga New Member

Spent the last two days replacing the clutch in my 77 K20. Honestly I would have rather torn the engine down and put it back together. Saved myself the cost of labor though. Not to complain to much it was a good learning experience but it took some patience. I tried to do it all without a trans jack. (bad idea) What Im wondering is.... Should you have to adjust a new clutch? The reason I ask is I have to put my foot to the floor to disengage the clutch completely. Do I just need to get used to the new clutch or try to adjust it? If I do could it possibly get worse? Ive driven newer trucks and it just seems like I may be over thinking it because of its age.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Its been a few years since I replaced a clutch in a Chevy of that vintage but I remember having to adjust linkage to get it to engage/disengage correctly.
    About 3 years ago my friend asked me to help replace the clutch in his 76 Chevy but I talked him into putting a 700R4 trans in instead.
  3. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yuup needs adjusted . Need about 1" 1/2 of toe play.
  4. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

x2 on dipstick. You should have 1" to 1.5" of play as you first begin to push the clutch pedal (toe play). The clutch should disengage by the time the pedal hits the floor.
  5. Jake Aga

Jake Aga New Member

Just what I needed to know. Thanks all for the info.