1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

keep losing voltage

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tnchevy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. tnchevy

tnchevy New Member

my 03 silverado keeps dying and i put in a new battery and tested the alternator. not sure what else to look for, my battery gauge keeps going up and down and the truck idles weird. it gets really bad with the a/c on. not sure if this is a common problem but could really use some help.
  2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

if its a new battery id try a new alternator anyway..sombody else might be able to help you a little better though
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

I would start by making sure your connections are clean. Battery, alternator, the big grounds. If that doesn't fix it, sounds like a bad alternator to me. Is it better when the truck is cold? Then get worse as the engine warms up?
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

^^ What he said x2 ^^
  5. tnchevy

tnchevy New Member

i guess u could say that it's worse when it warms up. if i have the a/c off i can drive for a few minutes before it cuts off. it starts right back up and will go a little farther then cut off again. when i just crank it up and turn on the a/c it just idles up and down and almost cuts off. i thought it might be the alternator cuz sometimes when they test ok they can still be bad.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Your alternator won't cause your truck to die unless the battery is dead. Does the problem happen after the battery is charged?
  7. tnchevy

tnchevy New Member

it died with a new battery. i just tried an alternator and it still idled wierd. does anybody else have a suggestion?
  8. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

Ground connections is where I would start.
  9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

X2 on ground connections. Has anyone worked on the truck before this problem happened? If so that's where I would be looking. Engine repair, alarm, stereo, accessories? Any of these repairs done lately? If so that's where you will find your problem.
    You never mentioned if you checked for codes. On today's vehicles this is the very first step on ANY kind of an electrical or mechanical problem.
  10. tnchevy

tnchevy New Member

no codes. i'm about to go back out and work on it. i've never had it worked on. this is the first problem i've ever had. i'll keep u guys updated.