1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keep that chrome clean!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by willbradfan, Oct 28, 2011.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

Hey everyone,
    Just thought id tell everyone to make sure they keep their chrome clean! My stepdad just bought my mom a buick enclave last year in september and we noticed this past weekend that all of the chrome on the entire vehicle including the wheel package they got for it is already oxidizing! We were surprised at how fast the chrome had begun oxidizing since the vehicle is only a year old and my 96 suburbans chrome took years and years for that to start occurring. We took it to the dealership and they pretty much said thats your problem and told us that they have already had another customer in and sent in a report to GM which they replied with that they will not do anything about it because it occurred outside of manufacturing. The guy at the dealership then told us that he isn't surprised that it occurred as GM has begun using crappy chrome to cut down on prices on their side which turns around screwing over the buyer. Its sad to see that they don't make vehicles like they use to.They are all about the profit rather than the quality of the product.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The sad thing is it's not even chrome any more, It's ABS plastic with a spray on finish type stuff. Chrome is what they put on cars back in the 50's, we will never see it go back to that. It does suck though that they don't last long, and especially an Enclave which is pretty expensive to begin with.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

hopefully some-one on here might have found a round-a-bouy way of finding out if
    you can get GM to cover any of it under warantee !!! I know the GM contact person on this site
    will probably post soon, and hopefully you can be looked after....I just bought chrome
    mirror caps, and I'm pretty sure they are all ABS chrome-plated plastic, as mentioned by TRPLXL2 !!!
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Bumper to bumper 3/36 should cover it If not in the end of your owners book is a # to call. Call it and see what happens.. They SHOULD cover it..
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My experience with the dealer in rust is this, it only covers rust through and not just surface rust. My Silverado undercoating fell off the frame after a year, the frame started rusting bad to the point that chunks were falling off. I took it to them several times complaining, they told me that it only covers rust through. I got pissed and took it home, sandblasted the whole frame and painted it with POR-15. Now I am happy...
  6. ucantcme33

ucantcme33 New Member

The chrome is actually very easy to get to shine again. I work in a GM dealership and most of the time GM wants to try and clean the chrome before they ever replace it. We just use a little fallout remover and its all brand new in about 10 minutes, however this is a mild acid. Not like you can walk into wal-mart and pick it up, but some soft steel wool works very well. It just takes longer and you have to be more careful.
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

And that's part of why I'm getting away from the whole chrome thing. That and I love the idea of the black contrast parts with the white diamond paint. It's just not the same "chrome" that it used to be. It can still look great, just not the same for me personally.