Keep the OEM tail pipe or run something else after Flowmaster Muffler

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chrismx144, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Chrismx144

Chrismx144 New Member

I was wondering if I should keep the oem tail pipe on after putting the flowmaster 40 in. It's the 3" IN/OUT model and my piping as many of you would already know is 2.75". I'm buying a counter reducer to get it from the cat-back piping to the muffler itself. But should I go from 3" back down to 2.75 and keep the OEM tail pipe? Will it hurt Mpg's/performance? Anythings better than I'm getting now with a straight pipe :lol: but I was wondering if there's a common mod that people do when they're in this type of situation. Only reason I'd like to keep the OEM is because its less work and i already have the hangers there.

2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Had a buddy do the same thing. Runs stock pipes before and after. Being that minimal size difference I doubt there will be any power loss or power possibily gained by keeping it stock.

3. Chrismx144

Chrismx144 New Member

alright thanks and I did. Did everything I was supposed to, took the negative terminal off to get the computer used to the change asap. I just gotta finish the job with some welding it was a sketchy fit and i hear a small leak. But no big issue.

4. stevensake

stevensake New Member

I have always used a flowmaster exhaust on my trucks, they have served me well.