1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keep the OEM tail pipe or run something else after Flowmaster Muffler

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chrismx144, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Chrismx144

Chrismx144 New Member

I was wondering if I should keep the oem tail pipe on after putting the flowmaster 40 in. It's the 3" IN/OUT model and my piping as many of you would already know is 2.75". I'm buying a counter reducer to get it from the cat-back piping to the muffler itself. But should I go from 3" back down to 2.75 and keep the OEM tail pipe? Will it hurt Mpg's/performance? Anythings better than I'm getting now with a straight pipe :lol: but I was wondering if there's a common mod that people do when they're in this type of situation. Only reason I'd like to keep the OEM is because its less work and i already have the hangers there.
  2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Had a buddy do the same thing. Runs stock pipes before and after. Being that minimal size difference I doubt there will be any power loss or power possibily gained by keeping it stock.
  3. Chrismx144

Chrismx144 New Member

alright thanks and I did. Did everything I was supposed to, took the negative terminal off to get the computer used to the change asap. I just gotta finish the job with some welding it was a sketchy fit and i hear a small leak. But no big issue.
  4. stevensake

stevensake New Member

I have always used a flowmaster exhaust on my trucks, they have served me well.