Keeping Black Plastic Black?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by raiderman8112, Apr 15, 2009.

1. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 New Member

I'm having the issue of keeping my black plastic staying black. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try other thank Mothers Back to Black, I try this and once it rains or after a few days it looks as if it did before I put it on. I also ran into the issue of getting alittle wax on the plastic as well and cant get that off either.
  2. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 New Member

I would say use some armor all on the plastics. I use the meguires plastic spray every so often just to blacken it more but then I use armor all and it keeps it looking decent. And a big spray bottle of armor all is only like 5 bucks
  3. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

the best way i've found to get the wax off of the plastic is with a toothbrush and some simple green and a little elbow grease. i also use armor all on my plastic and it keeps it shining real nice
  4. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Black Magic silicone spray works pretty good it just real slick so dont put it on running boards or seats or pedals
  5. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

I use Turtle Wax Ice paste wax. It can be applied to plastic trim and keeps it protected. Just make sure you don't over-apply to textured plastic. I've heard where people get white build-up on their textured trim by using too much.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I am going to try the simple green and the tooth brush thing, you are the first person I have come across that didn't just say "oh man you have to replace the trim, there's no way to get that off!" Thanks for the tip, I am going to try it as soon as summer time rolls around.

I agree with Dr. Zero on the black magic silicone. I use that stuff twice a year when I wax my truck and it stays black for several months even with the rain. I have made the mistake of putting it on the step pads of my step bars, and my dad slipped and almost broke his leg because his foot slipped in between the step bar and rocker panel. He cussed me out to high heaven!:happy:
  7. 88Jimmy4X4

88Jimmy4X4 New Member

Try the Mothers Back To Black. I use it on all my trucks with great results.
  8. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

heck i got the wax off of mine with soap and water.
  9. 04blackz71

04blackz71 New Member

to get wax off plastic use wd 40 and a lil elbow grease and it come off
  10. Springthing

Springthing New Member

:rofl:

I do the Armor All as well. Seems to protect well if you do it somewhat regularly (aka when you clean the inside of the truck)
  11. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 New Member

thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to try it when I get home and have a chance to wash the truck.
  12. thomcat

thomcat New Member

See a lot of Avalanches with fading black sails and trim.

My 2007 Avalanche (no cladding) is not garaged and the black plastic on the rear sail takes a beating from the Sun. It turns white on the top surface and gets white/grey tiger stripes on the sides. A lot of scrubbing with a stiff plastic brush and plenty of rubbing with a cloth containg Mothers Back to Black is needed just to get the sides of the sail almost black, but theplastic on top near over the 3rd stop lamp was impossible to get right. In about 2 months it was back to where I started.

Went to Auto Zone to get another two bottles of Mothers Back to Black at $7.00 a bottle........complaining to one of the workers that there must be something better. He took me from the car "glamour aisle" where they have the waxes/cleaners to the "body work" aisle where they keep the "Bondo Black" made by 3M which comes as a black gel with a foam applicator.....the product specifies for faded tires, restores black bumpers and restores black trim. It appears to be a jet black gel that goes on in a smooth film and dries hard as the plastic in less than a minute. It is not a paint, no solvent smell either, appears to be a black waxy gel, Won't rub or scrape off and after 3 months it still looks "like brand new plastic". The top of the sail took a few coats to go from white to jet black, but the sides only took two light coats....wear gloves like it says or you'll have black hands which will take a lot of scrubbing to clean.........it was so easy to put on and the results look so good that I was pissed off that I didn't find it sooner..... I threw out the remaining bottle of Mothers.

With the jet black sail, saddle bags and tonneau the 07 looks as good as the day I bought it new.
  13. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

mother black to black is pretty awesome, but if doesnt bring it back enough for you: clean it all with soap and water again and slighty heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer (slightly and slowly is the trick here, dont go crazy) and it will bring original color back to the plastic, afterwards follw it up with the mothers to protect it from the sun
  14. I use armor all as well on my black plastics. I did have a friend who would use the spray on tire shine stuff and his truck always looked good, but I never tried it for myself so can't guarantee anything on that one.
  15. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

Tire shine works great on the exterior plastic.
  16. marko54

marko54 New Member

I know this will get a lot of laughs and some WTF's however, take some warm peanut butter and rub it on the black trim that is stained from wax or polish. let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe it off clean. the white wax stains will be gone and yes it works.
  17. detailjohn

detailjohn New Member

18. kwalls22

kwalls22 New Member

If your black plastic is fading you can use a heat gun to run over the plastic lightly until it caramelizes and leaves you with a glossy black plastic that looks brand new. I have done this on my truck and other vehicles and so far its worked on every car ive done
  19. thomcat

thomcat New Member

Sound like using heat to slightly melt the top layer of plastic to remove surface oxidation may work, but I don't like to use anything more powerful than a hair dryer (to remove or replace stick on emblems) anywhere near paint or plastic. And how light is light, my heat gun can melt lead and set paint on fire? However, I would be interested in getting feedback from someone using the heat method on the wattage used, distance and application time and how long it lasts before needing a redo. Also, whether it gives you a 100% jet black just like new or more like a Mothers 90% or so black.

A heat gun may work, but I'd rather play it safe and keep the pebbled surface of the sail, saddlebags, and tonneaus intact. The Bondo restore black appears to be the easier (than Mothers or Armour All because there is no scrubbing) and safer approach. Used Mothers on one saddlebag, Armour All on the other and Bondo Restore Black on the sail and tonneaus. After four months in rain, hail and two carwashes........the Bondo is still jet black and shiny, the Mothers is starting to grey out and the Armour All looks worst of all...and the saddlebags started out in better shape than the sails to begin with....less than five minutes applying the Bondo to both saddlebags and everything matches again......the newly applied black looks just as good as the four month old black. If I can get six months out of one coating, especially through Summer months, I'll consider this a great success......couldn't get six months out of a vinyl top treatment!
  20. Thanks for getting us some feedback on this. It's really cool how you tried them all at once for a test. I will have to get some of the Bondo Restore next time I am at Autozone. Thanks for the advice.