1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kenwood DNX 6180 in dash Nav.radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by marko54, Nov 6, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. marko54

marko54 New Member 100 Posts

As the title says, anyone have this radio? i know there have been complaints about the Nav. being slow. any one here have it and like it? I think i might go with this unit. thanks
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have DNX6960 and I can honestly say if the DNX6180 is much slower than the 6960 I wouldn't buy it, as the 6960 is just fast enough for me to tolerate it but just slow enough for me to wait on it after the truck is started. (I mitigate this using remote start, by the way, so it works for me.)
  3. marko54

marko54 New Member 100 Posts

thanks for the reply. for every 5 that tell me how slow it is, 3 tell me its tolerable. A couple of installers told me Kenwood is working on an update. i kind of like the Garmin mapping .
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Garmin mapping was a chief reason I purchased a Kenwood unit. The only sluggishness in my DNX6960 is boot time. However, I have a backup camera installed and it engages (i.e. is functional on the head unit) when in reverse before the unit has completely booted. Between that and use of remote start to start the vehicle (and thus, boot the DNX6960 before I reach the vehicle), it's acceptable to me. The fact that I got it for $550.00 as a Kenwood refurb instead of $750.00-ish new also helps a lot. And in terms of features, I found the DNX6960 was very comparable to the latest/greatest 1200.00 units from Kenwood ... at a much more appealing price. The price point, too, helps make the slower boot time acceptable!