1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kenwood Headunit Installed

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by MD4x4 Fireman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What you think of my Kenwood install on my '87 Sierra Classic. Its my first install and i did it on my own.

[​IMG]
  2. doubt_me_now

doubt_me_now New Member

:great: looks good
  3. MD4x4 Fireman

thanks, since it was my first i learned a few things. it isnt as hard as i thought to wire it up but getting the old one out was a PITA
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice job, Matt! Ya did great :great:
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As long as you have a wiring harness for the truck that plugs into the factory connector, it's a simple job of matching wire colors. Now, getting the dash bezel off...that's a major b*tch. Every time I go to pull it off, I cringe and start thinking about whether I REALLY need to get whatever I needed to do done. However, once I figure out how to get the headlight switch off, it became easy, but tedious with all the screws. Good job on the install. That looks cleaner than my install, which install kit did you use?
  6. MD4x4 Fireman

i got everything for the install from crutchfield.com thats the best place to get anything audio/video for a vehicle from. cutting out part of the dash to fit it was the hardest part. thanks for the compliment. lets see a pic of your install cause i bet it aint that bad
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

OK, I finally got around to taking a few pics of the install in my Suburban. Mind you, this is an old POS radio that was in my first car, but it's better(barely) than the factory head... I know Md4x4's been asking me for these, so here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hmmm...choices

Which Kenwood did you go with? I was looking at both the Kenwood KDC-X491 and the Blaupunkt Melbourne SD27. I like the Kenwood for the front USB port, but the Blaupunkt drops the CD in favor of an SD card slot. I can't seem to get a CD player to last much more than a year. The CD player in the Alpine I have died so I'm looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. MD4x4 Fireman

10. Duranged Mike

Duranged Mike New Member

Bunch of good looking installs!! Not bad at all.

I'll second with going to Crutchfield.