Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Key and remote advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Rice, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Rice

Rice New Member

Hi,

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with a single key and remote fob.
    I'd like to buy a spare set and wonder if someone knows:
    1 - does the key have a chip in it?
    2 - what years remotes fit?

Many thanks!

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No chip in those keys, all the dealership needs is your VIN number and they can hook you up.

3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

What I did to locate another remote was get the FCC ID number off the back and then do a search on ebay for that ID number you would be surprised at all the remotes that come up.
    You can find the same remote that way it may say its for a van or a wagon but if its the right frequency then it should work :great:

You can get free programing instructions from
    http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/Browse.asp?cid=148

Just click the year and they will show you what to do!

4. Rice

Rice New Member

Thanks for most excellent advice!:great:

5. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

I picked up a new factory blank key and remote off ebay for like $20, just had to mate the remote with the vehicle. Like you said, just match up the part #'s of the back of your current remote and your set. You can find instruction all over the internet for how to do this.

6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When we bought my wifes 2001 Suburban it only came with one FOB so we went to our local dealership and they cut a new key, sold us another FOB, and programmed it for us as well. It was around $75 so probably the Ebay thing would be a better deal.