Key Blank - Dealer Item

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Tom Evans, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I just bought a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban and need to get a second key made. Do I have to go to the dealer to get the key made? I can't tell if the key has any type of security device implanted in the key.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What does your key look like? For a while some keys were crazy expensive, mid-to-late 90's were insane for how much a key was ... like $100/pop in some cases.

3. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It is not a transponder key so you do not need to go to the dealer. I bought a two of them a few weeks back for my dad's 05 Yukon off of ebay for $5-6 delivered, even had the GMC logo on them.

4. ChevyFan

Yeah, I think most companies got away from that, becuase they do help keep the car from being stolen ... they're a hassle for Joe Average Driver who loses his keys from time to time. They had moved too far in the anti-theft lockdown mode.

5. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Just got a couple made for the 97 burb at Home Depot. Cost me less than 10$ for both of them.

6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From what I was told, the 07 trucks have the transponder keys, but none before that.

7. ChevyFan

My dad had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix that had a chip built into the center of the key. I'm not sure what the "Transponder" means.