1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Key Blank - Dealer Item

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Tom Evans, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

I just bought a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban and need to get a second key made. Do I have to go to the dealer to get the key made? I can't tell if the key has any type of security device implanted in the key.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

What does your key look like? For a while some keys were crazy expensive, mid-to-late 90's were insane for how much a key was ... like $100/pop in some cases.
  3. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

It is not a transponder key so you do not need to go to the dealer. I bought a two of them a few weeks back for my dad's 05 Yukon off of ebay for $5-6 delivered, even had the GMC logo on them.
  4. ChevyFan

Yeah, I think most companies got away from that, becuase they do help keep the car from being stolen ... they're a hassle for Joe Average Driver who loses his keys from time to time. They had moved too far in the anti-theft lockdown mode.
  5. Skarch

Skarch New Member

Just got a couple made for the 97 burb at Home Depot. Cost me less than 10$ for both of them.
  6. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

From what I was told, the 07 trucks have the transponder keys, but none before that.
  7. ChevyFan

My dad had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix that had a chip built into the center of the key. I'm not sure what the "Transponder" means.