Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

key doesn't work i'm losing my mind

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bassalive, Nov 26, 2008.

1. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

I just purchased a 1999 Tahoe and posted some problems I was having with the front doors remote locks not working. I figured "what the hell" if the key works thats fine. I tried all the locks and the key does not work! I am assuming that the doors have been replaced as well as the hatch. What I would like to know is it possible to have keys made that fit or do I need to replace the whole door lock shootin match?By the way, the remote does slightly move the front latches and it unlocks the rear doors and the hatch??
  2. Howie

Howie Rockstar

A locksmith might be able to create a kay based on a vin, but seeing as how it has been replaced, I fear you might be screwed man.. :shocked:
  3. bassalive

Thats what I thought. Oh well I'm on my 10th Alpine so who gives a f!@#$. Thanks man.
  4. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

If you key doesn't work the doors or the gate most likely the ignition switch was replaced.
  5. bassalive

You have a point there. Any ideas on the chapest way out? and why does the key fob work on the rear doors and gate but not the front doors?
  6. retired

Buy a lock set and replace all the locks, by the time you have a lock smith rekey everthing it's cheaper to put in a lock set. As far as the door lock actuators you will have to pull the door panel to see if you are getting power to them.
  7. bassalive

Thanks. I'm getting power because the move slightly when pressed?
  8. retired

Then the actuators need to be replaced.
  9. bassalive

thank you. How do I deal with the key situation?
  10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

keys will have to be done at dealership $$$, nyou can first try and have the remote checked or reprogrammed while you are there too