Keyless entry issues!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cmboyd, Aug 9, 2014.

1. cmboyd

cmboyd New Member

I have a chevy silverado 2008 model. My keyless entry and remote start stopped working. I have had the remote re programmed, the battery checked etc.. everything is working fine on that end. What else could it be? is there a module inside the truck that reads the remote that could be bad?

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you sit inside the truck (engine off, doors closed so it's quiet) and then use the key fob, does it sound like there is anything trying to work or is there nothing at all?

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you only have one remote (having two and neither working, sure points to the receiver in the truck).

The same receiver is also used for the tire pressure monitor system. Any tire pressure warnings?

4. cmboyd

cmboyd New Member

wow interesting! yes the tire monitor sensor was bad and I just had it replaced this past week. I do have only one remote right now the other is lost...so should I just re program it?

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know the answer, but I'd guess re-programming will fix it.
    My '09 came with only one key, the dealer ordered a new one and I re-programmed it. It was very easy. I think the '08 is the same, the procedure is in the owner's manual.

6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

??? You wrote the tire monitor sensor ??? Do you mean "a" tire monitor sensor on one of the wheels or the something else?

If your 2008 is the same as my 2012 Silverado, the truck has the DLC (door lock controller) that sits on the back wall of the cab behind the passenger side. My extended cab it is behind the passenger side jump seat. This is what picks up the signals from the key fob and the TPMS sensor assemblies inside the tires. The DCL may have gone bad but here is one that will take you for a ride.

I had this happen to me one morning where the key fob would not work intermittently and the TPMS readings on the DCI was going nuts. It was always giving false readings. I went right to the dealer (the truck was just three months old) and the mechanic tried his best and could not get it figured out. Even changed the battery in the key fob. I didn't have the other one with me. He ordered a DLC but it was during Christmas and it be about a week. I left and started my 170 mile trip and my Garmin GPS also was not working right. It mainly could not get a satellite connection. The unit I have has a radio pickup coil to get real time traffic information. At the end of the trip, I took the GPS out of the truck and walked about 100 feet away and presto, the key fob was working and the GPS got its satellite connection. I have not had the problem since that day 1.5 years ago.

An internet search on this problem and it seemed that certain Honda's did have a similar problem and there was a fix. Of course Garmin would never admit to a problem that its unit would transmit an RFI.

You may never know!

7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

There is a service bulletin about the key fob, tire pressure monitor receiver possibly going bad from the 3rd brake light leaking water onto it. I had mine replaced in my 2011 from this very issue. Might be something to check into.