Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keyless Remotes Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by esbmann, Nov 28, 2013.

1. esbmann

esbmann New Member

2003 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 4x4 with RDS Bose Stereo Cd player. Regarding the keyless remote, the locking button is working fine, it's the unlock botton on both unit's that is not working.

I have cleaned all contacts internally on both units with an acetone wipe no change. This morning I took a look at the owners manual, tried the reprogramming function that was explained, pressing down on the lock, and unlock buttons together and hollding down for 15 seconds, no change. Put in a new battery then reprogrammed, no change. The lock button works fine the unlock is still not working. Frustrated and looking for help. Happy Thanksgiving.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

did you try to disconnect the truck battery for a few mins then relearn the remotes?
  3. esbmann

esbmann New Member

Thanks for the reply back, gave it a try, after reconnectiong the battery which I had left disconnected for about 15 min, the remote initially worked both locking and unlocking, truck has been setting in the driveway for the last hour, just went out to give it a try, now I am back at the same point, remote works to lock the truck up and activate the horn alarm, but will not unlock again. Any other idea's short of the dealer. Thanks, Mike.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How old is the battery in your truck?
  5. esbmann

esbmann New Member

I bought the truck from the original owner in August of this year, it's one of those few and far between trucks, 68,000 oroiginal miles had always been garaged, battery is an AC Delco that looks practically new to me.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, so let's think about this. If two remotes are causing the same problem, it is probably not the remotes that are at fault.

So, breaking it down a little farther, the remotes talk to a receiver inside the truck. If the lock signal always works and the unlock signal almost never works, the problem is probably not in the receiver module.

You didn't say it was only one door, so the problem is common to all doors.

The one thing that is common, is the unlock function; so, let's break that down.
    We would have some common to all doors wiring and some only impacts one door wiring, this problem is common to all doors, so it must be in the common wiring.

The unlock works sometimes, so it can't be a blown fuse.

Some trucks (maybe all GM trucks with power locks) use a lock relay and an unlock relay.

I suspect bad/poor contacts in the unlock relay, a new relay should fix the problem.
  7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'm assuming that both doors will not unlock but do they unlock from the door switch? If not, as RayVoy suggest it is the unlock relay as seen here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1399507,parttype,3656. By the type of pins it looks like this relay is in the electrical box in the engine compartment. It could be under the dash somewhere.

It does make sense that it this part since it operates a solenoid in the door. It's DC voltage and the current in one direction to the solenoid creates a magnetic field and this is what pulls or pushes the mechanical parts to lock. The DC current in the other direction causes the magnetic field to reverse, therefore unlock. Two relays are needed.
  8. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

esbmann,

Hello! I understand that you are looking to resolve this issue without going to the dealership. I might not bet about to give you any technical advice but if you find that you are unable to resolve this yourself, I am happy to assist. I can locate the nearest dealership in your area and set up the appointment. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  9. esbmann

esbmann New Member

Could you provide some additional help to me please, I have contacted GM Parts Direct, an internet based provider, have purchased Bed Rail Caps from them. I sent their customer service an email asking for a price quote based on your info. They are telling me there are three relay's, Lock, Unlock,and Drivers door unlock, but they are giving me the same part number for each item, this does not make sense to me, wholesale cost is about $ 8.30 . Wanted something to compare to when I called the Dealer for a price. I am not confident with the info I am getting back from this site, three different part numbers make's more sense. Any advice.
  10. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Make perfect sense that the three relay are the same part number. They do the same thing and the only difference is what actives the relay and the wiring after the relay. Since that is the case, you can swap them out with each other the the problem should change. But here is a question, if there is two relays to unlock, on the first push of the button does the driver's door unlock? If not it it seems it to me that two relays going bad would be rare. At the relay box number these relays and then remove them and check the pins for corrosion. Reinsert them and check. If the problem remains then swap them around the the problem should change where they'll unlock but now not lock. If this is the case I would replace all three of them. If the problem does not change and you ruled out any wiring problems, then it might be the DLC.

The DLC, door lock controller, is what receives the radio signal from the key fobs and this is where you will need the dealership for a fix. In my 2012 Silverado it is behind the rear seat of the passenger side and it is also used to read the tire pressure monitors that your truck does not have. Not sure where it is in your model year.