1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kicker amp won't turn on

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Mikeskeetxskeet, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Mikeskeetxskeet

Mikeskeetxskeet New Member

I just bought an 06 silverado and the person who had it before me had a system in it and left all the wires. I put mine in and it worked fine for about a week, then yesterday my amp just turned off. I've checked the fuses, re wired everything, checked everything I can think of. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
  2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

there could be a fuse in the amp itself that is changeable (haven't really worked with kicker amps, it would be where everything else ties into it). Double check you have sufficient voltage coming into the amp as well as a strong ground from the amp. I would check with a multimeter. Also check to make sure you have continuity with your remote wire.
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

x2. You check remote turn on wire in back of headunit?
  4. bwhitt86

bwhitt86 New Member

It depends on how old the amp is. Im sure it does have them on the amp itself. If one of those fuses is blown 90% of the time the amp itself has something wrong. I've worked on thousands of cars and rarely see them blow, but the few times i have its been an internal problem with the amp. All you need to do is get a meter test the power wire on the amp it should read 12 volts off or on. If your not getting power check the connection for the fuse at both ends. If that's good test the ground and make sure its on a well cleaned and make sure the surface where it connects is completely paint and rust free. If that's good check the remote turn on wire. It should read 12 volts when you turn the ignition to the on position. If your getting all good readings as far as voltage and are sure the ground is good its gonna have to be your amp. You can take the amp out and bring it to your local stereo shop and have it bench tested just to make sure. I normally never charge for a bench test but some places do. Thats all there is to it.
  5. Mikeskeetxskeet

Mikeskeetxskeet New Member

The fuse on the 12v wire was melted some how... Thanks everyone =)
  6. bwhitt86

bwhitt86 New Member

That's not a good sign. I wouldn't replace it until you inspect the wiring. A fuse should never melt, that shows you got a major problem somewhere unles it was just heated up by somn by the engine. If i were you id pull the power wire out and make sure theres no exposed wire or breaks. Make shure its ran through the firewall. A power wire should never under any circumastances be ran elsewhere to get under the hood, especially the door jam which for some reason people do ALOT an its askin for trouble.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Ok first off what size Amp is it? Model? What size Fuse? Rating? What size Ga wire did you run? And what size Ground wire did you use?