1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

King Pin Play,how do I reduce it?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mike Hill, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Apologies if I have the terminology wrong for this part.I have play in the front right Hub on my 1990 Suburban 6.2D.

I was told that to adjust the play in the "King Pin" I was to slacken the Nut off and Beat on the side of the Ear indicated.This I have done,after retightening the Nut,the slack remains.

Perhaps my beatings arn't man enough?

Attached Files:

2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

You don't have kingpins. The only GM truck of that era that had kingpins were 1 ton solid axle trucks that had a Dana 60. Looking at the pic, your truck has a GM 10 bolt that uses upper and lower ball-joints. There is no adjustment if the ball-joint has any play it has to be replaced. FYI, if you had kingpins wacking the ear with a hammer will do nothing to adjust them. They need to be taken apart and inspected for wear then rebuilt or shimmed.
  3. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Thankyou for your reply.I bought two new lower Ball joints because I wished to replace them when I removed the Front Axels to replace the Universal Joints.How do I get the top ball joints out?
  4. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

They are pressed into the knuckle. Rent or borrow a ball-joint press and push them out. I use a propane torch to heat up the knuckle. You don't need to get it red hot just warm it up, it'll make the metal expand slightly. The job will be alot easier.
  5. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Thankyou for telling me how to do it.I appreciate that!