Knock,knock

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dfhollums, Nov 17, 2012.

1. dfhollums

dfhollums Rockstar

About 8 months ago upon first start up of the day of my '00 Silverado (5.3 V-8), or even after sitting a while having a chance to cool, I hear a light knocking sound coming from the engine. It goes away after the engine is warmed up and the fluids have had a decent chance to circulate, but the knock has gotten worse either. What do you reckon?:neutral:

2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Have you checked your timing? Cuz if the timing is "Retarded" to far it can do that.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be piston slap or a rod knock. My 02 would knock when it was really cold out until the motor warmed up. I would let it idle until the knock stopped and then drive, it did not get worse over time though

4. dfhollums

dfhollums Rockstar

You described my truck's problem to a "T".

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought about the timing, but I will give it shot. Mr. Plikey described my truck's problem to a "T".

5. redvett

redvett Member 100 Posts

Timing on any GM truck engine after 1995 is computer controlled.You have the cold start knock and its just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought about the timing, but I will give it shot. Mr. Plikey described my truck's problem to a "T".[/QUOTE]

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

What oil filter do you use? I've had Chevy trucks for some time and unless I used a GM oil filter, I got a brief knock on start-up.

If you don't use an AC PF-48 I highly suggest you do as they cost about the same.