Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Knock sensor questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by khurrle, May 28, 2012.

1. khurrle

khurrle New Member

Hey all,

I just bought a K1500 and it seems in really great shape but the CEL came on after leaving the dealership (of course) and after connecting to a diagnostic tool I learned that it is throwing the P0327 KS code. While l have been looking about for the best priced replacement I have found some conflicting information and would like to ask all of you for some clarification.

The barrier seems to be between 99 and 2000 most everywhere that says that the knock sensor between those two models is different though the engine is basically the same. I have found a few other sources that says that they are in fact compatible with each other. The reason I ask is money is exceedingly tight right now and the 2000 models sensor is nearly half the price of the 99 and if they are in fact compatible I will happily buy the less expensive ones to replace in my truck.

Can anyone out there elaborate on the differences, if there are any, and if it will in fact work?

Thanks all

2. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Did you just buy the truck? If you did would it be under warranty?
    Do you have the 5.7 or the 5.3? I thought that was the year they changed over. I have the 5.3 & knock sensors are located under intake manifold, I would change both & wire harness if your going to do job.
    Is truck pinging?

3. khurrle

khurrle New Member

I did just buy it but I got it from a used dealership as is with no warranty. I know that I should do both and the harness but it is a bit spendy with my budget at the moment that's why I'm asking if these sensors are cross compatible. I am pretty sure its the 5.3 350 vortec. I know they are supposedly under the intake but im not positive.

I dont notice any ping but I am not familiar with that sound so Im not sure. I would think its one of those "youll know when its pinging" things

Thanks

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

5.3 Vortec is a 325 Cubic Inch motor. They are under the intake, I have to do mine before I get a expired inspection sticker ticket. I can't hear pinging in my truck but I hear a rattle like sound around 1450-1800 RPMs.

5. khurrle

khurrle New Member

I must have the 5.7 then, I know it has the 350 in it. Are these in the same place? Like I said I don't hear any rattling or noises.

6. rileyjr16

I don't think on 350s they're in the same location. Think they're somewhere on the block.

Take a picture of your engine if you can so we can be sure its a 350 and not a 325

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

On the 350s the knock sensor is behind the starter on the passenger side. You have to remove the starter to get to it.

7. khurrle

khurrle New Member

Didnt take a picture but looked at the catalyst sticker and it says that its the 5.7 liter. So is there only one then?

8. rileyjr16

Yeah theres only one. Forgot about the catalyst sticker...*wake up slap to the back of the head*

Like previous statement, its behind the starter.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Forgot about the catalyst sticker...*wake up call slap to the back of the head*. Yeah theres only one I believe and like said its behind the starter.