Knocking in steering wheel when turning

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rrod7390, Jun 19, 2010.

1. rrod7390

rrod7390 New Member

I have a 2005 silverado Z71, about 77K, 3-in body lift, 315/70 R17 tires on it.

The problem i have is that i feel a weird knocking on the steering wheel when turning or going around a curve. It feels like something inside, dont know if its the shaft or what, moves up and down and knocks and i can feel it on the steering wheel I can also hear it slightly.

I have been trying to research this but have not really found an answer. Ive read some stuff about greasing the "intermediate" shaft and others replacing it completely.

I dont know if this is a common problem, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. cain73

cain73 Rockstar

I had an 05 Tahoe that had the same problem. I had to replace the steering box that the shaft goes into. It cost me about $200 and a little time. The problem I had that once replaced the steering seemed to be totally different and felt twitchy. I guess I got a box with the wrong gears or something. But it did fix the knock that I felt in the steering wheel. Get under your truck and grab hold of the steering shaft close to the steering box and see if there is wiggle room. On mine I lifted the front end and was able to move the wheels without the steering wheel moving showing how much slop there was in the box.
    Hope that helps.

3. rrod7390

rrod7390 New Member

Thanks ima have to try that.

4. TWODFlyer

TWODFlyer New Member

Just thought I'd share this, I recently had clunkinig noises coming from my steering, which occurred after some collision damage on my 96 K1500 Z71 was repaired. The problem was, when the front end was aligned, the control arm nuts needed to be loosened, and they forgot to tighten them when done with the alignment!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. bullitt3683

bullitt3683 New Member

I had a similar problem with my 03 Yukon. It was the intermediate shaft. I had mine "fixed" before the kit came out that replaces it. THey packed mine with bearing grease. That was 50,000 miles ago and the noise hasn't come back yet. The official fix is to replace the intermediate shaft with a new part that doesn't rattle. As I understand it, it is in a sleeve like thing and that is the noise/rattle you feel and hear.

6. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

FWIW:

There is a GM TSB (superseded several times) which addresses this issue. I have access to the latest TSBs (which apply to my '04 Silverado) via my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription, but I hesitate to post the entire thing here. At any rate, here's how it begins:

The entire TSB, including a step-by-step procedure, requisite precautions and tools, and detailed images, is posted (by a FORMER GM Parts and Service Mngr, named Mike) at the following link... I suggest a SAVE TO DISK complete with ALL IMAGES, once this page loads:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. cain73

cain73 Rockstar

I sure hope this issue has been fixed on newer models ?????

8. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

I would think so (seeing that the last revised TSB is dated March 2008)... at least one can always hope, eh?

BTW: my '04 has this issue. At first it was a bit disconcerting, but I might wait a while before obtaining the replacement GM part (and nearly $20 special tool?) needed to complete the repair. It's not a safety issue, as far as I know... just a nuisance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  9. cliff08chevy

cliff08chevy New Member

I had a 04 2500HD and i had this problem and i went to a buddy that works on cars and all he had to do is repack the rod in it and it work great for years it only cost me 50 bucks. He also told me if u wait for a long time then you will have to replace the rod. Good Luck

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

It has been said before but, the problem could be your intermediate steering shaft. That was what mine was. It's a relatively simple install. There are many aftermarket shafts that are beefier than the GM ones. I think NAPA has them for cheap too.

This could be your issue. I hope that this helped some.

Good Luck!!