Knocking Noise in the Steering Column

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wmkess, Sep 18, 2012.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member

I'm fairly new to the board. I bought my truck (2005 Silverado 1500 Ex. Cab, 5.3L, Z71 package, 4x4, 94k miles) about a month ago and have only put about 400 miles on it so far. Everything was fine with it but a couple weeks after I got it, it developed the common knocking noise from the steering column whenever I make turns and even when going straight down my long, rough gravel driveway.

I think it may have been caused as a result of driving on a stretch of really rough road. It's an old county road which literally has more surface area covered in patches and potholes than the original road (which sucked to begin with). The ride going down it was almost unbearable. I'm guessing it was due to the fact that its a pickup truck and the Z71 package makes it that much stiffer on top of having no load in the bed. Anyways, I first noticed the knocking probably 2 turns after getting off of that road. I'm curious if that could have caused it or if its just pure coincidence?

I've researched the problem both on this site and elsewhere so I know the 3 main solutions and I think I'm going to go with purchasing a replacement upper steering column from gmpartsdirect.com for about $60. I'll probably modify the stock part I remove to be able accept a grease gun so if this new column fails later on I can just reinstall it and grease it myself. Any input/comment on what I plan to do? Also, has anyone bought installed the part I plan on getting and what were your thoughts on it? Thanks.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=19153614

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

just lube the ISS. mine was making noise and the lube fixed it.

also on the toyota avalon this is a problem same cure. both vehicles still good.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The knock/clunk always comes back. Since GM hasn't solved the problem some enterprising individuals have provided a very convenient solution: installation of a zerk fitting ... so that you can hook up a grease gun and pump in a few shots of grease when it comes back.

I strongly recommend saving your cash and going the route of the zerk fitting from the outset. It's easy, cheap, effective, and gives you a solution that involves very simple maintenance (add some grease every now and again) when (not if) the problem resurfaces. I had never done anything like this, before, when I undertook it, last year ... and this thread provided everything I needed to know about it in order to get it done: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/18106-Intermediate-Steering-Shaft-Lube-Procedure

That's my input...

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] beat me to it. I was just searching for that thread to reply. Go to post #20 on page 2

5. wmkess

wmkess Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. wmkess

wmkess Member

Sorry to bump this thread, but I had a question about the grease gun fitting mod done.

It mentions plugging the end of the upper steering shaft right above the connecting bolt to help the grease pack. Di anyone who performed this mod do this and if so, what did you use and how did you do it? I seemed to recall seeing another thread on another site that demonstrated the same procedure but had more pictures and detail and I believe they actually sealed that end of the shaft with something permanent along the lines of jb weld.

7. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just did this last month on my 2001 Suburban. I did not seal the end of the hollow shaft just below the grease fitting. I just pumped some grease and it has been quiet for a month now. If I see grease oozing out, I will probably just unbolt it and pack some RTV behind the metal plug in the hole to stop the grease leakage.

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When you buy the kit from GM to grease it, it comes with a rubber plug that you put in, grease it, remove the plug and reinstall. I would not worry about plugging it.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did not seal it and the grease packed fine.

10. blackflash

blackflash New Member

Mine had the same rattle, took it apart greased up real good and quiet ever since.