1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Knocking sound when starting...loudest when engine is cold

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jlbpa, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jlbpa

jlbpa New Member

2001 k1500 5.3 with 104,000 miles. Started several months ago when engine was started but would get quiet after 10 or 20 seconds. Now it knocks longer and louder but does eventually get quiet. Sounds louder than a lifter. I'm wondering if a piston. I bought the truck about 4 or 5 years when it had 56 thousand on it. Truck looked new when I bought it and did not notice and problems with engine. Since then it has gotten fresh oil every 3000-4000 thousand. Most of my miles are highway. And from the look of the truck I'd guess most of the previous owners mileage where highway.

I'm bummed!!
  2. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

What oil are you using?

Sounds like piston slap.

Bert
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Check out THIS SITE for more info on piston slap.
  4. hunter541

hunter541 New Member

this is commen in colder weather on silverado's i never seen these blow up what gm was doing was removing all the spark plugs and putting in top engine cleaner [nasty stuff ] leave in over night,crank it over with no plugs reinstall plugs.it takes some time to get started because it washes the cylinders down,it will smoke like crazy and then change oil to mobil 1 they clame that it carbon build up hope this helps
  5. jlbpa

jlbpa New Member

I have used pennzoil or castrol.

I'll contact the local gm dealer and tell them I think I have excessive piston slap and see if they come up with the carbon buildup remover solution.
  6. plumber_rob

plumber_rob New Member

My 2000 Silverado has the knocking sound when I first start it up in the morning. It has a 108k on it and the knock doesn't last too long. I was told that the early 5.3's were build very loose on the clearances. After reading the site that Darcy posted above it must be true.
  7. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 New Member

Try some seafoam. Stuff works great for cleaning out carbon build up.
  8. zachh1020

zachh1020 New Member

Classic case of the Infamous Chevy Piston Slap. Plaguing Chevrolet owners across the nation.
  9. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Darcy, where do you come up with these sites, man your amazing with some of these......It even has been back in the late '70's, but just not as noticable.....

Jeff
  10. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Would definitely try Seafoaming the intake it might take a couple of runs but it really does help. I put in the intake and the tank but dont like the idea of the oil.
    http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm