1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lack of maintenance! What is wrong with people?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a few family members and friends that do absolutely no maintenance on their vehicles. (other than occasional oil changes). They always complain when a brake job cost them $400-$500 because they need rotors, calipers, and pads. I have a friend that bought a car new and never did anything other than oil changes. After 2 years she had to put front tires on it. The next year she put rears on it. She never rotated them so now she needs fronts again. Another friend had new tires put on his car a year ago. He kept having rim leak issues, so the tire shop convinced him that he needed new rims because the rust was causing "micro perforations", so he bought factory rims and new tires for the car. Then complained that he spent over $1000 in a year and wants to trade it in because it has 90,000 miles on it. (Oh No!) I do not understand how people think that they can just drive and never do anything to maintain their vehicle. It drives me nuts. Don't change spark plugs, buy a new car! My brakes squeak, oh well, It still stops. I just changed plugs out on a 08 explorer with 180,000 miles. The plugs were never changed before. (I was worried about pulling a @Conlan Rose ,broken plug!lol) The specified gap was .050-.052, My gap gauge goes to .095 and the gap on the removed plugs was larger than that. The electrodes were eroded to sharp pointy knife edges. The owner asked me to do a trans service. I told him no way. It was never done before I am not touching it now. I just don't get how people think that cars are like razors, disposable. Either they have the money to waste on a new car every few years or they just don't care. I had a another friend who sold his car that was 6 years old with 80,000 miles because the fuel pump went out. (the theory was, when one thing goes everything starts going) He practically paid the shop to take the car off his hands. The shop still uses it as a loaner car 5 years later! Sorry about the rant, I have just seen so much of this in the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Pikey's getting rid of all his 2012 frustrations :rofl: :rofl:

Happy New Year, my friend.
  3. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

Those, of course, are the people who always pity themselves and say they have "Bad Luck." My sister does the same thing, I gave her one of my cars in the past that I maintained meticulously. I told her when I handed over the keys to just go get the brake pads done... 1 year later, she complained to me that I gave her a junk car, etc, because now she needed rotors too... After neglecting that car for long another, she bought a new trailblazer. I don't even think she got the oil changed in it for the first year. it makes me sick when she complains that she has such bad luck with cars, because it her fault that she does... /rant...
  4. Pikey

[MENTION=24589]Kady[/MENTION], I have seen that many times also. My father has given very well maintained, well running cars to people and they last a year or maybe 2 because they don't do anything to them.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I may have spent a lot this year on my truck, but it was all on maintnence that the former owner should have preformed. Cars are built to last about 10 years or 250,000 miles. (Ford trucks are built to last 5 years or 150,000 miles) But most people get a new car every 5 years because they don't want to pay for repairs. I spend $800+ on a brake job, that brake job also included replacing my rear axle seals, milling my rotors, new front and rear pads and one new drum liner. I spend $500 on preventative maintenance once (tranny flush, fuel system cleaning, and A/C tune up). Soon I will need new tires which cost $175 per tire. Unfortunately all my major maintenance intervals and repairs are falling at the same time, but I"m not getting rid of my truck because once finished it'll be ready for another 200,000 miles before new major problems.

A properly maintained Chevy truck can reach over 1,000,000 miles with is factory engine. Its been done many times. I wish people knew the value of a vehicle.
    [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] thanks for reminding me :rofl:. My new plugs are meant to last 100,000 miles, I will pull them at 30,000 to make sure they will come out and then I'll put them back and do the same at 60,000 and then replace at 90,000 just to make sure I don't have to pay 300 to have a broken plug removed.....
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As soon as my truck gets up here, its getting new plugs, new air filter, oil change, new brake pads, maybe even a new transfer case (if I can ever find one :grrrrrr:), and other odds and ends necessary to it running, and running right. Maybe even a performance item here and there. Getting kinda bored staying here on base.
  7. Pikey

I soaked the crap out of them for a few hours with PB blaster.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think that should be a lesson to every one. If it doesn't move and it is suppose to use as much WD-40, PBlaster, or any other penetration oil as you can and let it soak. That's how you take exhaust bolts off. I went through a whole can of WD-40 and Marvel penetration oil just to remove the exhaust cross over pipe from the header.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is so true. I need to meet a woman like Kady or Amac or GMCErica -- i.e. one who understands maintenance, is ok with a boy spending time in the garage doing boy things (at least she'd know where I am, right?!), and most of all, doesn't make her own 'bad luck'.
  10. Pikey

I guess that I got lucky in that department. Before the kids came my wife and I would do brake jobs together, She did one side and I did the other. Same with oil changes, she would drop the oil and filter while I greased. It is nice that when I say something needs done to one of our vehicles she has no problem with it. She might question why I am doing something, usually to educate herself. She knows that a job always takes longer then planned. Especially on the last two used trucks that I purchased. Of course doing a brake job on a newly acquired truck I will find something that I do not like. She knows that I am not going to just slap new pads in and be done, I am going to make another trip to the parts store and fix it right. Sometimes she makes the part store run or brings me beer while i am working.