1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

lack of power and temp running a little high

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Country270, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Country270

Country270 New Member

Alright I'll start out with the specs of my truck it's a 05 Silverado 5.3 4x4, I was driving around the woods Saturday and the dirt road I was on started to get muddy nothing bad but enough to put a strain on the engine. Well the engine acted as if it had no power and the temp immediately started to rise up to 220-230°F. Never had this happen before and honestly don't have a clue where to start. I appreciate any input into the matter . Oh and if it makes any difference I just hit 101,000 miles.

2. silverad01

silverad01 New Member

First off, check coolant level and make sure radiator isn't caked with mud

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree. I would check the radiator. I would check your air filter also. It could be possible you got the filter wet or muddy so air is not passing thru it easily. Does the truck have traction control? If the tires were slipping and the TC activated it would explain the lack of power, but not the over heating.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with no check engine lights make sure your coolant is correct and the radiator is clean. now if the coolant level was low you should have a light on with that .

off roading in a condition causing high load in a high gear will create high temps in the tranny. check this fluid for damage and bubbles.

lack of power with no check engine lights also check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge for the correct PSI.

if the exhaust some how got plugged up by the mud or damaged that could also be the cause.

5. Country270

Country270 New Member

I appreciate it fellas I'm gonna try what yall said and see if any may be the issue I'll get back with yall with what I find