1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lag between shift

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Blakjax98, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Blakjax98

Blakjax98 Member

Ok shifting from drive to reverse takes almost a full second and back from reverse to drive is just as long. After it goes into gear as soon as i get on the gas there is a thump from the rear end as well. What the hell is going on?? I changed the trans fluid and filter with Royal Purple at 88,000 miles. Any advice??
  2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

what transmission do you have? 4L60E? if thats the case, do you notce any problems when shifting from 2nd to 3rd?
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It could quite possibly be slack in the pinion in the rear end. At least that's what the clunk is most likely...
  4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

install a vette servo :) sometimes get rid of that little lag

and its a 40 dollar mod.
  5. Blakjax98

Blakjax98 Member

You know what im not exactly sure whats trans I have. All i can tell you is its a 2001 silverado LT 5.3 Z71. I havent noticed any issues between gears no. So where can i get this servo?? you got a part number by any chance??
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check the fluid. If it's full you may have purchased a defective filter which can suck air through a crack in the pick up tube. Next step is to pull the pan and check it.
    A Corvette servo has nothing to do with your problem as it doesn't apply until the 1-2 shift is commanded by the computer.
  7. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

jimmiee's right also you can check your yoke on the tranfer case if theres no lube in there get some from gm dealer that has been an ongoing issue for alot of the 4x4s over the years
  8. bvogts25

bvogts25 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have the same shift lag in my truck too and its annoying. the only difference is mine is a 07 nbs
  9. Blakjax98

Blakjax98 Member

ive checked the fluid and thats fine. If i drop the pan, can i just re-use the fluid?? i ask only cause its Royal Purple and that stuff isnt cheap =) In regards to the grease, does it have to be from GM or anything equivelant?? I cant believe the 07 STILL has this issue.
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes you can reuse the fluid. Drain it into a very clean pan and you'll be fine. Buy a filter from a transmission shop or the dealer to be sure you're getting a real McCoy rather than a cheap off shore imitation.