1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lannan Chevrolet, Woburn, Ma A fair deal or total steal?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FrigginNoodles, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

My old man has a 2001 Silverado. Over the new year's weekend my brother had taken the truck two and a half hours across state to visit friends. When he went to leave the truck wouldn't start. He called Triple A and the guy who showed up seemed to think the problem was the security system in the truck not allowing it to start. He said he believed that the dealer just needed to fix the computer. So we had the vehicle towed to Lannon Chevrolet in Woburn, MA. Turns out the computer was fine and the problem was the battery and starter. With the vehicle so far out of town we had them do the repairs. The bill for the starter and battery was $767. This seemed a bit outrageous to me, but I'm not sure what it should cost. The parts and labor were both around $350 each. So my question is, Did we get screwed or did they give us a fair price???
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

well not to say you got screwed thats just the cost of the dealership to do stuff, dealerships charge up to $150 an hour for labor these days and they ONLY use OEM replacement parts so they are always more expensive. The reality is,if you did it your self a starter would have been as cheap as 75 with exchange of the old one and a new battery with deep cycle and high cold cranking amps could come as cheap as 100 bucks for a sears die hard (the only batteries I buy) and a starter only takes a few minutes to swap out if you have the tools.
  3. grape2

grape2 New Member

I agree the price sounds right for a dealer, some charge an hour diagnostic, .5 hour to replace a battery, and 1 to 1.5 hours for the starter. Techs are on comission and charge by the book now matter how long it takes to repair. The labor rate up there has always been higher than around here. In 08 we were 75.00 and hour and one of the lowest. And on thing I learned, GM parts are very expensive compared to some other brands.
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

I was out of town once when my truck started running badly..misfiring etc...soooo....I drove to the nearest dealership and had them look at it. An hour later they came to me and said I was all set and it was a bad spark plug that had shorted out. I thought " ok cool..nothing major!" Then I asked how much....$125.00 to replace a spark plug!

The charged me for .5 hours diagnostic and .5 labor. Even if I didnt have them replace the spark plug I was looking at $75.00 for the diagnostic...so whats another $50 at that point.

Now I carry tools and 2 spark plugs with me at all times!
  5. zuper8

zuper8 New Member

Wow, when I worked for Autozone, a battery in those trucks would take me 5 minutes tops. that's a shame!
  6. grape2

grape2 New Member

Most books say .5 but I have seen .9 paid for some vehicles and around here most places 1 hr labor to hook up the DRBIII or Tech II to read codes. When at the Chrysler dealer that paid techs by the hour not flat rate, I often adjusted the labor to be more reasonable to customers.
  7. Thanks for the replies everyone. I knew I could count on the GMTC for a straight forward answer! It's comforting to know we were charged fairly for the service.