Laptop computer accident warranty

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

My son poured a can of coke out on my dad's Dell Notebook last night. Fried the motherboard, it won't even come on! :mad:

Anyhow, he just had the 2-year in-home warranty on it. No accidental breakage warranty. Dell is going to fix it for $250 and will have it back to him in less than 2 weeks.

My question is this. Is it better to get the accidental breakage warranty, where they will replace it completely, even if you drop it in the lake or drive over it, for about $150 for a year, or just get it fixed for $250 if it breaks?

You are out $150 for the accidental breakage if you get that. You may be out money if you have damage and just want to get it repaired, however ... no breakage, no worries.

Anyone have this?
  2. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl New Member

i have never had any 'accidents' with a portable computer so I never get any coverage like that. one day with kids running around pouring pop over electronics, maybe i might change my mind.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

I had accidental breakage on my HP laptop for two years and never used the coverage. I bought the coverage because my previous laptop got water soaked while doing GPS mapping on Possum Kingdom. It's a hard call to make, your gambling on whether your computer will get broken or not.
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

I agree. It's one of those things, you're not likely to ever need if you buy it, and you'll definitely wish you bought it if you didn't.

Murphy's in the details on this one!!:great:
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

Jamie, are you resorting to "sign" language?
  7. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Just for the kid

I never buy the coverage for me or the wifes stuff. OK I did for her cell phone. I always buy it for anything I get for my teenage son. I have had his PSP replaced 4 times and the iPod 5 times.

For his desktop PC, no coverage necessary. We went to the local computer swap meet, he picked out a cool game system, and I bought it, but in component form. If he wanted his own PC he had to assemble it himself. He did it in four hours. 3 weeks ago when the power supply took a dump, I bought the part, and he did the repair himself.
  8. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

Ya like that? Now I just need to figure out swearing in sign language...
  9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

I have no doubt that you'll work that one out.:lol: