1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Laptop Tuning Programs

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, May 31, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, i need a tax write off, and i was going to start a "business", in which i would program computers of vehicles locally. I'm not looking to get big, or to make money, i just would rather not give my money away to the government who will give it to some people who don't deserve it. I am looking for what the BEST tuning program for a Laptop computer is. I've looked at EFI Live, and HPTuners. Those are what i've found to be the most popular. Price is no matter, i would rather have to not wish i went better.

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive heard alot about EFI Live. They are involved everywhere there is motors fueld by some sort of fuel injection system. There even getting involved in atv and dirtbike tunning(thats what i grew up in), which is a major step for them seeing as how five years ago you could count the number of fuel injected quads on your hand. Go with EFI Live.

3. ippielb

So, with EFI live i could tune ATV's that are fuel injected also? Of course i would need the adapting plug in to the computer on them. We got a BIG quadding base around here. Everyone has one. If not two. How does EFI Live's tuning work for different vehicles? Do i need to buy another "credit" so i can tune another vehicle? Or is it i buy the program once, and i tune as many as i want?

4. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I believe black bear uses the EFI Live. I've heard great things about it. So I would go with EFI live.

5. ippielb

I looked at EFI Live, and for every additional VIN i would program it would cost $99, HPTuners was only $50 more. Plus EFI live is $300 more base price, is it worth that much extra? After looking at it, it most often costs 2 credits or more to tune a vehicle with HPTuners, so that doesn't concern me anymore. My only concern is that EFI Live is strictly GM, while HPTuners is GM Ford and Dodge. Which would be more options if someone wanted a tune.

My question for HPTuner is if you tune a vehicle, does that vehicle become VIN Licensed so that i don't need to use additional credits to change the tune? I know with EFI Live you license the vehicle, and then you can change it as many times as you want.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yes you could tune fuel injected atvs. If I remember correctley, Yoshimura uses EFI live software in their tuners.

7. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

We not only use EFILive, we also teach courses on the software and sell the products. Definitely recommended.

8. ippielb

Well, this is going to be a tough decision, i like that HP Tuner offers GM Ford and Dodge, rather then being strictly GM. But i do like the backing EFI Live has behind it, there is alot more EFI live then Hp Tuner.

9. JustCraig

JustCraig New Member

I used HPTuners for a bit. I not sure about EFI Live, but HPTuners allows you to use a low number of credits to tune an entire model year year for a specific amount of credits. I used 6 credits ($300) at one time to tune ALL 2004 GMC Canyons and Chevy Colorados. Ended up tuning 7 vehicles, so it worked out really well.

10. ippielb

Wow, this is making it harder then it was before i asked! I guess i will need to do a lot more research before i drop the cash.