Large tires in the snow

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Kraziken, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Have any of you experimented with different width tires in the snow?

I can't tell for sure, but it seemed my older '91 Suburban with the factory width tires (but good mud tread) tires seem a bit more sure footed on the snow and ice than my new Suburban that has oversized tires.

It's nice to have the 4 wheel ABS in my new Burb, but I'm wondering if I should locate some stock rims and for winter specific driving.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

Tires in snow are the total opposit of what u think would be right. So whatever ur thinking reverse it and you'll be fine. I'm into speaking in riddles today, sorry it's my home brew.

3. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

ive always been told skinny tires are better for snow

4. bassalive

seriously though narrow is the best with a good snow pattern on the tread.c'mon!

5. Akula682

Akula682 Rockstar

Right on... it lets you sink to the road so you can get some traction. wide tires make you float ontop of the snow. When i drove my Hummer in the snow with its 14" wide contact patch on each tire even that 1 1/4 ton 8,000 pound truck would drift ontop of the snow.

Skinny is better in snow.

6. bassalive

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me some "narrow good cleaning tires" in a pare tree.

7. bassalive

sory it's the brew talkin.........lol

8. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

Makes perfect sense good info guys.

9. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Another for the skinny tire here in Canada. Its all about the sipes and tread pattern.

BTW can I get some of that homebrew....:great:

10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

this winter will be fun. I have the 2wd sierra to drive or the jeep with 33/12.50/15's on it. HA!