1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

largest tire for my 1990 K-1500 ?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RATRODKING, Mar 24, 2013.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys,

i have a 1990 K-1500 4x4 that has stock suspension.
    im currently running 265-75-R16 Kumho road venture AT tires. these are 31.8" in diameter.
    im looking to get some BF Goodrich AT tires next.

what is the largest size i can get without rubbing up front ? i dont want to get a leveling kit.

how many miles do you guys average on your BF Goodrich AT's ?

i never do any mudding and 99% is road miles.... i just like the look off the BF goodrich's.

also, do you guys have pics of your factory suspended k-1500 with the larger BF Goodrich tires, so i can get a feel for what it would look like ?

thanks guys.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No pics but my 99 K1500 suburban at one time had 285/75/16 (32.8") on it and no issues even when suspension was worked with some off roading. Just my 2 cents but I had BFG on my suburban first and I HATED them, like nothing I have ever hated!! I had no grip on ice or snow. I went with a Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction and love these tires!! Too bad they were only made for 2 years as Goodyear (they make Dunlop) downsized some of their lines. These were a full mud tire with great snow/ice rating. The Goodyear Duratracs are not the same tread design but rated the same as these tires were. Only the Dunlops were 148 a tire instead of 250 for the Goodyears.

3. RATRODKING

thanks so much for your input... i will do more research on the bf goodrich all terrains before i purchase.
    i just like the tread and sidewall look of them the best, and dont really need them for off roading but do want to get a decent amount of mileage out of whatever tire i buy.
    and knowing that you got away with the 285's is good to know.
    thanks again, and hopefully someone else could chime in on their thoughts of the bf goodrich all terrain tires.
    thanks

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This question gets asked a lot. It seems that most OBS trucks get away with 285/75/16 aka 33x11.50's. A good percentage of these need some minor fender trimming or tolerate minor rubbing (individual suspension differences), so if you cannot tolerate any rubbing/trimming, you should probably stop at 32's (the size you currently have).

5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I too would like that tire size, they look awesome.
    but im pretty sure you would need to re-gear and you would loose gas millage...

the rubbing is also a concern, i was off-roading in my truck and with the wheel backspacing on the 265s the tire comes up into the rear wheel well to rub the frame/tub....
    if i had deeper wheels that put the tires out farther, it would have come up and dented the rear lip X(

how tall are the 275/70R16s compared to the 285/75R16s?

6. RATRODKING

well, i think i will stick with the 265's that i am currently running...
    thanks guys

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

no re gearing needed going at all and no mileage drop, you just need to reflash the computer one way or another to adjust for the bigger tires, I just used a hypertech tuner to reprogram for the tires.