1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Largest tire on stock rim

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Austyn_7, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

Hey guys,

I have a 97 silverado 1500. I plan on puttin on a 3" body lift, with the bumper brackets and full wheel well skirts to hide the kit.

My question is what is the biggest/widest tire I can fit on the stock 16" rim. Dont really feel like spending extra cash on a set of rims.

Thanks
    Austyn
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

I had a 3" body lift on my Yukon with the torsion keys turned up up a bit and ran 285/75's with no issues. I did try to put my buddies 305's on and they rubbed real bad. Hopes this helps.
  3. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

Could I no get spacers to move the rim out a bit? I would want 315s because you Can't get 305's in 33's as far as i know (305,70,16 right?)

Thanks guys
  4. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

I am not sure how big of a tire with the use of spacers. I am not a big fan of them and have never used them. To get a little more lift you may want to look into a level kit with the torsion keys and blocks, then you can gain more tire clearance.
  5. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

With a 3" body lift i should be able to clear 33's. I Dont want anything bigger, in my opinion the stock 350 cant push anything bigger. Truck would turn into a total dog.
  6. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

I agree with you 100% but some people feel a stock 350 can push 44's all day long. I wouldn't do it but what do I know! lol!!
  7. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

I will call a tire company tomorrow and make sure. I may just have to get different rims
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have 35's (315/75/16) on the stock wheel. But I have a 6 inch lift. Some tire places (discounttire) wont warranty the tire or mount but not sure on the mounting. I have mine rotated there but thats what the guy said since the wheel is only 6.5" and its supposed to be on a 8-10" wheel. sayse it will wear down faster which is why they wont warranty.