Largest tire on stock rim

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Austyn_7, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

Hey guys,

I have a 97 silverado 1500. I plan on puttin on a 3" body lift, with the bumper brackets and full wheel well skirts to hide the kit.

My question is what is the biggest/widest tire I can fit on the stock 16" rim. Dont really feel like spending extra cash on a set of rims.

Thanks
    Austyn

2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I had a 3" body lift on my Yukon with the torsion keys turned up up a bit and ran 285/75's with no issues. I did try to put my buddies 305's on and they rubbed real bad. Hopes this helps.

3. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

Could I no get spacers to move the rim out a bit? I would want 315s because you Can't get 305's in 33's as far as i know (305,70,16 right?)

Thanks guys

4. tattooed4life

I am not sure how big of a tire with the use of spacers. I am not a big fan of them and have never used them. To get a little more lift you may want to look into a level kit with the torsion keys and blocks, then you can gain more tire clearance.

5. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

With a 3" body lift i should be able to clear 33's. I Dont want anything bigger, in my opinion the stock 350 cant push anything bigger. Truck would turn into a total dog.

6. tattooed4life

I agree with you 100% but some people feel a stock 350 can push 44's all day long. I wouldn't do it but what do I know! lol!!

7. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

I will call a tire company tomorrow and make sure. I may just have to get different rims

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I have 35's (315/75/16) on the stock wheel. But I have a 6 inch lift. Some tire places (discounttire) wont warranty the tire or mount but not sure on the mounting. I have mine rotated there but thats what the guy said since the wheel is only 6.5" and its supposed to be on a 8-10" wheel. sayse it will wear down faster which is why they wont warranty.