1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Larry David services his transmission...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ibmoses, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

So I decide to service the transmission in my 03 Silverado 2WD with Towing Package.

I figure I will go to NAPA to get the good stuff. After looking at all the various types of fluid I grab 6 quarts of the conventional NAPA fluid that is supposed to work to replace the DexronIII that you cant get anymore.

Please note I have already looked in the owners manual trying to figure out how many quarts I will need to refill after I replace the filter, I still have not found this information in the owners manual...

So the guy at the NAPA store says they list two filter kits and he figures I need the regular kit because the other one is for a deep sump and that is what I would need for a 4wd.
    He also says it usually takes 6 quarts after a filter change.

Then I figure WTF I am going right by the GM dealer on my way home so I waltz into the parts dept. and tell him what kind of vehicle I am working on and oiut he comes with a filter kit that is obviously for the trans. with a deep sump.:neutral:

So I figure I will get that and if it is what I need I will carry the other one back to NAPA...:great:

Proceed to gather tools, rags, drain pan, creeper etc. etc.
    Get under truck and determine correct size socket for the drain plug on the trans. pan...

Round off drain plug. :great:
    WTFingH kind of POFS lousy MFCSPOFS drainFingplug is this anyway and how in the FingH am I suposed to get this SOB out of theFing pan?:fighting0019:

Bert
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I usually try to use 6 point heavy wall sockets to prevent this. But once it is done you might need to take it to a mechanic and have them safely remove the nut. I am wondering if putting the socket back on the plug with a lot of JB weld might do the trick? Anyone ever try this?
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

small drill bit, drill out enough to get an extractor into it and slowly remove it, hopefully it was just tightened too much and not cross threaded and stripped out
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you can drill and use an extractor like VNCJ96 suggested toy might be able to weld another nut to the rounded one and get it out that way.
    But I'd try the extractor first. Sears or Northern Hydaraulic have great extractor sets for under $30.
    The parts guy couldnt pull the VIN and give you the right part?
  5. ibmoses

Thanks for the replys.

It looks to me like some sort of POS drain plug in the trans pan.

Its the same size as the oil pan drain plug but nothing like it...

I searched and looked at a bunch of threads about servicing trans. and trans. problems but as of yet have not found much help or info.

For instance does the 03 Silverado 2WD with towing package use the filter for the trans. with the deeper pan?
    :eek:ut:
    Bert
  6. ibmoses

I am going to have the local repair shop do this. They are a AC Delco shop and have always done good work for me.

Bert:eek:ut:
  7. ibmoses

This truck used the filter for the deep sump pan, maybe that will help someone.

The shop I used told me they dont use the drain plug on these trucks, they just zip the pan off with a air wrench. That way they dont have to fix the drain plugs that round off and if a customer accuses them of rounding the plug off they know it was not them.

Bert:eek:ut: