Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Last Year of Suburban rear cargo doors?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rtc, Jul 20, 2008.

1. rtc

rtc New Member

when was the last year rear cargo doors were available? (Why they did it i'll never understand!!)

Thanks!

2. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I assume you mean the barn doors? I'm not for sure on this, but I think the 1999 model year change ended the availability of barn doors. I don't think I have seen one newer than that with them.

3. asstda2b

asstda2b Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

on what...our suburban is a 2002 and we have them.

4. Skarch

And thats why I wasn't sure. I know it was a model year change that ended them, I just didn't know what generation.

5. esponet

esponet Rockstar

07 model year is when they got discontinued. i tried to order one, and they said its no longer available. partly due to the blind spot in the middle and no wipers.
    i almost turned around and walked away, but after driving one i was ok with it.
    i really wanted a 3/4 ton diesel 4wd with barn doors. but ohh well.

6. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Around here, we call them the "Right Kind of Doors"!

7. Skarch

They do make it so much easier to load/unload the back cavern.

8. IrishBrewer

IrishBrewer Rockstar

I'm curious as to why you say they are easier than the hatch-type door which can be opened with one hand and swings up and out of the way. You don't have to worry about hitting it with the material you are loading. The only downside I can see for the hatch is in the event you have a trailer jack that sits too close to open the door but I have plenty of clearance on mine with the trailer hitched.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I kinda' like the barn doors also. When I want to put a tool box in it, I just lift it up and put it in. With a tailgate you lift it up, put it in,and them you have to crawl in to push it off the tailgate.

Same story when stuffing debris in for a dump run- you have to push the branches junk in much farther on a tailgated vehicle.

Do some Suburbans come with full length hatchbacks- if so that would be fine, but most seeem to have tailgates with the hatch.

Charlie

10. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think starting in 2000, the did away with the tail gates and when to the full/half lift gate. You can either open just the window, or the whole gate will go up.