1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

leaf spring question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bassalive, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

I hoisted my New to me 99 Tahoe up to undercoat it yesterday and noticed that the 2nd leaf spring up from the bottom on the stack on both sides is snapped. How do I order a single leaf from a spring shop?Will I have to take it in or should they know the measurements?. It doesn't seem to affect the stance of the Tahoe any what will happen if left unattended to?
  2. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It will effect your tow/hauling GVW, tongue weight. The stance will start to sag and will have more bounce/free play. Do you have a spring shop? If so, they will be able to tell by Make/Model/Yr and
    Vin to see what extras you have. Right now your ok, its still cradled in the stack, but will need attending.

Jeff
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

That spring is the load spring don't haul any thing. I also would replace both spring packs.
  4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you can get a replacement spring from a shop or the junk yard or look at a 4x4 shop that might have a set from a lift kit install on the same type of truck...mike
  5. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I agree it will affect towing and hauling, what that more than likely came from is someone hauling more than what they should have with that tahoe. one of mine was broken too on the passenger side but mine had been in an accident and if not corrected when and if you do haul anything it will make your truck slide around a little on the road not to mention that the whole back end of your truck will push down toward the ground with even the slightest load. I put coil over load adjusting shocks on mine to help with the loads before finding the broken spring. Some will tellyou any used one should be a fine replacement, but I have never been one for putting anything used on any of my vehicles. Specially not anything that important. I would talk to a local spring shop if you have one , an RV equipment shop or the dealer. Might also check with JC whitney some times they have things like that pretty cheap.
  6. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

Just got back from the spring shop. What a difference! the Tahoe has her stance back and she drives a whole lot better. I couldn't believe the difference. Thanks for all the advice.
  7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

glad to know that worked out well for you. thanks for posting the results on here so everyone could benefit from it.