Leaf Spring Question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by NoelZ71, Jul 6, 2011.

1. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 Member

I changed the blocks in the rear to a 3" to even out the truck, but now I hear a clicking when the axle wraps up at take off. I noticed that the plastic sleeve that goes over the edge of the middle leaf was missing on one side.(I guess it fell out when I changed the blocks) I torqued the U-Bolts to spec and rechecked them and they are right, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. My main concern is that, is this normal for not having that plastic sleeve, or is something else going on. Thanks

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I've seen a similar que posted here about a noise after a block install. It turned out to be one of the blocks was moving slightly because it wasn't seated properly, because the locating pin wasn't positioned in the hole.
    It could also be the sleeve, but if it fell out when you did the block install it should be laying in your driveway. Maybe it was missing a long time & you just noticed it when you were working on it. Can you localize the noise to the side that's missing the sleeve?

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you use a tappered/angle block in the rear? If you used a flat block then most likely your drive shaft angle is off.

4. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 Member

It is flat block no angle. When I order the block kit it was supposed to be vehicle specific, but I also thought it should be angled. I called company back back to ask them and I was told that they only taper them on larger blocks, not on the 3". Soooo I don't know.

Stephan it does seem to be right in that area on that side only, but I am not positive.

5. silveradotrailblazer

SuperLift makes tapered blocks, 2" up to 5". There listed on there website. Theres a reason lift companies include a tapered block in the kits. Where did you buy your blocks, e-bay?

6. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 Member

They were from rough country.

7. silveradotrailblazer

O.K. Not to make you feel bad or insult you but this is one of the many reasons we quit using RoughCountry years ago. Square blocks are cheaper to make than tapered blocks. Did they at least have locating pins in them?

8. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 Member

Yes they did, but I have been looking at some new ones that are tapered. Superlift is what I think I am going to go with. So do you think that this is the main reason for the noise? I am going to change the blocks out but if there is anything else that could be causing this I want to address it all.

9. silveradotrailblazer

I would start with the blocks. You could have had worn u-joints and the flat blocks just made it worse. Its like when you add a lift kit and 35" tires to a truck that drives fine before the lift and then shakes like crazy after the lift because the front end balljoints, tierods etc. were worn but you really couldn't feel it with the stock tires but when you added the big tires holy crap hang on.