leaf spring scrunching

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by beenurman, May 29, 2009.

1. beenurman

beenurman New Member

2 weeks ago i noticed a rubbery scrunching noise as i got in and out of my truck. now it is loud and horrid sounding. if i pull up on a curb or something it makes that sound loud as crap. its like a rubbery scrunch coming from the drivers side back fenderwell. it sound like its coming from the rubber bushing on the front of the leaf spring where it attaches to the frame. does that bushing get dry our wear out? ive never heard of this happening but i pretty sure its coming from there. i wonder if i can take the leaf spring off of that post where it attaches a put some real good lube or grease on it to quiet it down? anybody have this happen before or any insight?

thanks
    bryan

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yes, bushings can go bad and you can grease them, but that may just be a temp fix for it. You can get yourself a set of new bushings for relatively cheap somewhere. look at energy suspension products

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 on the new bushings. The poly bushings are the way to go. They don't wear out as fast as rubber although they are more expensive. They can all be changed in an afternoon. A bottle jack and a couple of 2X4 blocks make easy work of it.

4. beenurman

beenurman New Member

hey man about those leaf spring bushings...do i have to remove the fuel tank and all of that crap to get them off? ive got a repair manual that says i have to take the fuel tank and stuff off to remove the bolts from the drivers side leaf spring. is it that hard to do?

5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea i'm afraid that may be the case because you may not be able to pull the bolts all the way out b/c they will hit the gas tank. it is an annoying process to drop the tank, but doable