1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

leaf spring swap ?s

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by chevy03, Nov 8, 2012.

1. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

can i switch my 03 silverado 1500 leaf springs to 1500hd leaf springs? i researched some and couldnt find an exact answer.
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not 100% sure, I know some people here will be though, one thing to keep in mind; if you plan on weighing down the bed, your brakes and everything else on the 1500 is rated for what it originally was, so don't think you can add an extra 500lbs in the back if you put the heavy springs on it.

The new springs will last longer under a normal load for your truck,
  3. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

i realize the brakes will have to be upgraded as well, but if i got a 1500HD rear axle too?
    then i see no reason i couldnt slap another 500lbs on there. 1500HD brakes, leaf springs, and axle too. i probably wont do the axle but with HD springs and bigger brakes along with a roadmaster kit i should definitely be able to haul some more weight without a "sag" problem. obviously, of coarse within the weight limit. new bilsteins too :) idk maybe im wrong. i just want to be able to haul a little bit more weight without my sagging issue.

and another thing, if all above checks out, or will work....do i need bigger torsion bars and keys as well? all and any help would be appreciated.

4. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

Why not add airbags, then you can drop the air and have a normal ride; bump them up for level load carrying?? I had a set on the last truck for over 250k miles, they worked great for eliminating sag. All you need to do is measure the wheel well arch height before loading, then level back to that height with the airbags after loading...or if you like gadgets, get the auto inflater/deflater that does it for you. I want to remember my basic kit only cost $250, and is probably cheaper than a set of springs?

I understand you're just trying to eliminate the sag, but keep in mind; 500#s will make a difference in stopping ability, especially if it "just" squeezing in that 500#s more...
  5. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

my whole intention was to be able to haul as much as a 1500HD. i've been doing some research. there would be alot more entailed to make my truck a 1500HD. rear axle assembly (if my gearing changes than i'd have to match the front too): along with bigger brakes, upgrade to a 4L80E transmission. and appropriate shocks. and 8 lug wheel hubs. bummer. so i figure i'll just get me a 2500HD next year.

and a set of springs depending on the brand and capacity rating 200-300$. not to much difference.

[ QUOTE=steved;520017]Why not add airbags, then you can drop the air and have a normal ride; bump them up for level load carrying?? I had a set on the last truck for over 250k miles, they worked great for eliminating sag. All you need to do is measure the wheel well arch height before loading, then level back to that height with the airbags after loading...or if you like gadgets, get the auto inflater/deflater that does it for you. I want to remember my basic kit only cost $250, and is probably cheaper than a set of springs?

I understand you're just trying to eliminate the sag, but keep in mind; 500#s will make a difference in stopping ability, especially if it "just" squeezing in that 500#s more...[/QUOTE]
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[/QUOTE]

1500 HD's are built on 2500 frames with 8 lug wheels, larger brakes, the frame is heavier, etc. If would be cheaper to find a used 1500 HD than to do all the upgrades to make it safe. (Since the 1500 HD is not made anymore).

The main reason they discontinued them was they were upcharging them so they cost more than the same 2500 HD :). why not just by the 2500 HD for less money. Trust me, I wanted a 1500 HD until I really looked at what I was getting for the money if I bought one. the Name "1500" in the HD line is a marketing stunt.