1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Leaking... again...

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Self reflection and help needed lots of it.

I was totally serious on the offer. I don't have anymore time to work on the truck this week or weekend. I just want it fixed and idk what to do.

Here's a list of what needs to be done:

Reinstall transmission all the way its close to all the way but not quite.
    Reinstall oil pan and new gasket.
    Reattach/torque front axle bolts.
    Install filter adapter + gaskets and filter .
    Install torque converter shield.
    Install alternator, battery and air cleaner.
    Put in oil and run truck to make sure it is all good.
    Reinstall skid plates splash guard and other guards and covers that were removed.

All bolts are nice and organized and clean. Not a single Piece is missing to my knowledge.

If you wanna make extra money you can do the rear main as well I'll tack on another $100+ for your troubles.

If you wanna make the money or help me just PM me about it. At this point I can't even look at the truck it makes me too angry.

Btw question is it bad if the cold is causing slight condensation in the crankcase? Because if yes then what should I do about it.

Please even if you don't help physically I need the help emotionally because I'm just shot. I've wasted two day on moving the tranny and then learned that I couldn't get on the flywheel bolts. This wasted time could've been spent on the paperwork for my eagle project so I can get it done because I'm running out of time.

Even if someone knows a mechanic that will come to my house or that wont mind me towing it to them and will be reasonable on price. I beg of you all please look at this post and try to help me out. I love that truck and don't want it to just sit in my garage all winter because I can't fix it because then it will be ruined and most likely will never run. This beast is my dream truck and I stupidly tried to do something without the right tools and enough knowledge and I got far, but just still didn't do what I wanted and wasted so much time. Almost 20 hours of my time working was a waste because I needed the right tools and didn't ask for help. I admit I ****ed up, but I've learned a lot and know what to do next time. Only good thing that has come of this was I learned I'm strong enough to move a 350+lb transmission and transfer case with only my arms and legs lifting it. There was a lot of other things I learned, but that was just an awesome moment.

Wow, felt good to just say it out. But yah this truck not working has caused me to miss my girlfriends band competition, a day spend with her, possible getting my eagle, countless time that could've been spent making money or doing homework, and time that wouldn't of been wasted because I don't have a vehicle.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

Well, I know how ya feel man, Ive been in your situation more than once. Sometimes biting off more than you can chew to save a few bucks. I will tell you that I do most of my own work but when it comes to removing transmissions I let the equipped shops take care of it and just bend over the counter and pay the bill. If I were you at this point I would just call a tow truck and have it taken to a shop and have it done. Since you already have the driveshaft out it shouldnt be a problem having towed there. Most shops dont like things already taken apart but any experienced mechanic will be able to put yours back. At least when you get it back it will be done and done right and you shouldnt have to worry about leaking oil getting worse ect. Might set you back some greenbacks but when its just sitting there its not doing ya any good either. Maybe get a triple A membership and then have it towed. Anyways good luck and hope your back and running soon.
  3. Conlan Rose

Already have AAA and the rear drive shaft was reattached yesterday. I just hate that I'm gonna look stupid to any shop. Might talk to [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] and ask him if he can explain my situation to the shop he knows by me.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Done sent Mark a Mesg at Dr Nicks Trans in Milford.....Ask for Mark
  5. Conlan Rose

Thanks [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION], your the best! :happy:
  6. The Heater

The Heater Member

Yes, doing these projects on a vehicle has serious consequences, as you have now discovered. There is a weighing process you must go through before you undertake these projects, even if the practical side of you is saying you can't afford to pay for the repairs by a professional. Been there, done that, back when I was in college and very poor. Ended up taking the car to a pro to fix the stuff I broke when I got in a hurry to put everything back together.

Unless you are a total Gomer Pyle and don't have anything in your social world going on, it is hard to do this kind of project unless you have garage space to store the project while life goes on. When I was younger and out of college, I rented a garage from an older lady and restored a car in there. Glad I did that because money kept me from finishing the car for a few years.

This is why I pay the big bucks to the pros now. Fortunately I have people I trust either who are clients or are people I have done business with and found them to be very knowledgable, and I have only those folks do my automotive work. I have a guy who only works on European cars and some Japanese high end cars to work on my BMW and Infiniti, and I have two places that work on my truck, and an auto electric expert to do the electrical stuff. Everything gets done right the first time and if something is wrong they fix it.
  7. Conlan Rose

[MENTION=51599]The Heater[/MENTION] I'm lucky that at least I have the garage space and usually I'm free, but this is one of my weeks where to even do laundry or relax I have to stay up to 12:00 because I have so much going on and it's leading all the way through the weekend. The good thing is that I have learned from this experience and now know what equipment I might want to save up for so I am better prepared next time I need to do a major repair. What really sucked about it all was I knew what I was doing, just didn't have all the right tools to get it done and that wasted a lot of time.

Shopping list before next major repair/project:
    2 sets of jackstands at least 3 ton
    New jack that I can trust and doesn't lose pressure
    Ryobi ONE+ impact wrench
    Two breaker bars one 18" another longer
    Compleat adapter set
    6 point deep well sockets for metric (had to buy the SAE already) for 1/2"
    Same but for both for the 3/8"
    Standard depth 6 point for SAE and metric both 3/8" and 1/2"
    More extensions and better U-joints
    More socket rails to organize it all and another tool box
    Creeper

Way in the future tools:
    Tranny jack
    Engine hoist
    Air tools
    Lift
    Other cool stuff
  8. The Heater

The Heater Member

Well, you have your Christmas and birthday list set for the next 5 years.

I know we can't recommend or advertise places on forums, but if you PM me I can give you some links to tool companies I have bought most of my tools from over the years with good results and pricing.

I would start with your sockets and wrenches you need, along with the wobblies (universals) you said you needed.

I have had to use a transmission jack. Thought long and hard about buying one. Decided that it would not pay to get one when I can rent one for a lot less, based on how often it would be used, how much it costs to buy one, and the space it would take up in my workshop.

Four post lift is great idea. Great to store that extra car or work on something. One word of warning. Do not buy one unless you have sufficient ceiling height. I have a lift, and my ceiling height is 15 feet inside and I would not get a lift with less than 15 feet interior height. Otherwise your lift and car storage options are dramatically reduced.

Lincoln and OTC make very good jacks. OTC makes a nice low profile two ton aluminum jack you can buy at certain on line sellers with two aluminum jack stands. I am going to buy that set in the near future. I have a Lincoln two ton jack (made in USA) that takes very few strokes to get the car up, but it is all steel, heavy and not a low profile so it won't work on my BMW.
  9. Conlan Rose

Sent the PM.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Did Mark get intouch with you? I will be at OCC in NY Sunday if you get it fixed in time come'on out and meet...