1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Leaking again.......

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Conlan Rose, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well they're back..... My truck is once again leaking vital fluids (oil and anti-freeze). Luckily I don't have to deal with fluids going away with dry pavement instead its getting quite wet. I'm not sure which is leaking more, oil or coolant, but its getting bad. Currently they don't leak a bit while driving and idling. It can sit there warming up for 10 mins and the ground remains totally dry, but when I shut it down and walk away for an hour or all night I come back to little dark spot of oil and coolant under the bumper and engine. Some times there is much larger spots. I can't seem to find where the leak(s) are coming from. There are no obvious spots that are damp on the block or radiator, at least not ones that I'm not already aware of.

Two weeks ago the truck began to leak from an oil cooler line on the radiator, but the leak is small and as long as truck is kept under 2000 rpm it seems not to leak much at all. That's the only oil leak I know of, but it seems there might be more some where else. Where else is it common for late 90's trucks to leak oil. I have a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket on the truck as well as brand new cooler lines and fittings, I also replaced the filter to block gaskets. I currently run Pennzoil reg 5w-30 and a Fram Tough Guard filter. I'm due for an oil change soon and may have the shop look around under the truck, I will be upgrading to Mobil one synthetic and be trying out a Delco filter (this may make the leaks more significant).

I think one of my water pump to heater hoses are leaking and I have the replacement, but can't replace it with out removing the EGR valve which a clamp is stuck on. None of my other hoses on the radiator or pump seem to be leaking, but I'm losing coolant quickly refilling the reserve every two weeks, but the level in the radiator doesn't seem to drop much. The radiator is brand new so are the upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and radiator cap. Minus the oil cooler fitting leaking oil the radiator is great. The rest of the cooling system is factory.

I really need any ideas you guys have because this is getting insane.... The truck now only drives short in town trips because I'm scared to drive her too far. I really need this old girl in top shape before this summer because it's my vehicle for driving to college and back on holidays and such. Every other part of this truck is solid as a rock.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Your going to hate me.. But time to get rid of it.. You are Dumping money into it and all you get is more problems.. Find something cheap for the winter and save your money for this spring..

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Pressure test the cooling system

4. Conlan Rose

Ok, I'll try to soon just need to rent it at autozone. I think that the radiator leak can be fixed with a better o ring and seal. I really need to get under the truck and inspect, but its been so cold recently.... I really dislike a lot of parts reaching the end of their lives at 195-200,000 miles, but I hope after these fixes she'll be fine. Knock on wood at least the tranny, t-case, and diffs are solid.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you switch to synthetic It will definately make it leak worse, I wouldn't even bother but that's just me. Hope you get it fixed!

6. Conlan Rose

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] I just realized something while I was driving home. Ever since the oil leak started the noise I was having on the pass side has totally stopped. The noise started after I shored up my oil leaks in November and now that I have a leak again the noise has gone away. I have no clue if this is any way relevant, but I realized I had to say it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Just went out side the larger damp spot I keep getting is antifreeze not oil, thank god. Rather be leaking the fluid with 17.5 quarts of fluid than one with only 5.5+ quarts.

7. Pikey

Good, pressure test it! Hopefully it is just a bad clamp.

8. Conlan Rose

I'm trying to find one to rent in the area and it is proving to be hard to find.... I will see if my school's shop has one. I know I no longer have that class but my buddy does and he can find out. I can't believe Autozone doesn't have one.

BTW did you read what I said about the noise.

9. Pikey

Yea, I read what you said about the noise. That is odd. All autozones have them. Maybe someone was already renting it.

10. Conlan Rose

I will first see if the school shop has one. Hopefully my auto zone gets it back or gets one if the shop doesn't have one.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically the back lights in my 4wd controls decided randomly to start working again but only one side. They eventually stopped again.
    2013-02-05_18-35-31_753.jpg 2013-02-05_18-20-42_716.jpg