leaking coolant....BAD

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 95CTburb19, Dec 8, 2007.

1. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Im losing a ton of antifreeze. I put in a full container the other day and the next morning there was a big puddle under the truck. I've lost like 3/4 of the coolant. its coming out up front below the radiator. Any ideas what it might be? Hose? Radiator? :neutral:

2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you will need to look good and close but it can be raditor or hose or the water pump and then the water is running down the fan and on the ground. you might get it pressure tested and see if that shows the leak? ...mike

3. 95CTburb19

i pressure tested it and there's a hole in the radiator. better that than the intake gasket. :great:

4. 95CTburb19

I put some stop leak in to temporarily seal the radiator while I wait for my new one. However, I've been reading up on it and people are saying that it clogs everything up and kills the heater core. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It can screw-up a the smaller holes in the cooling system. When, or just before you put the new radiator in flush the entire system or you could have problems.

6. Willow9238

Willow9238 New Member

yes what they say is true i have to replace my heater core and radiater for the same reason

7. homer911

homer911 Rockstar 100 Posts

i beleave that it depends on what type of stop leak u use. i used alumiseal and never had any problems with it clogging heater core or any other hole other then wheat it needed to be sealed

8. 95CTburb19

I forget what I used. But to paint a picture, Imagine a fishing lure liquified mixed with some boogers into a silver and black paste and there ya go, stopleak! I haven't been driving it, but if the snow I'm supposed to get comes tomorrow I'm going to have to. I'll just watch the temp gauge closely. :neutral: