Leaking oil filter assembly, 7.4 1999 sub k2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by P-Dub, Apr 15, 2017.

1. P-Dub

P-Dub Active Member 100 Posts

I have a leak right here, anyone ever this open up? those are two plugs, I am reluctant to open up there since it would be really bad if something went south there.

anyone have a leak before? Im not sure what attaches that to the block. Maybe its under the plugs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those look like NPT plugs. Probably where oil cooler lines or dry sump would attach. The oil filter adapter (your pic) doesn't normally leak. Could it be the filter is leaking and getting blown onto the adapter at highway speeds?

I say doesn't normally leak but if it's been removed/replaced it might be leaking. I can't remember if you have had the Sub since new.

Ted

P-Dub likes this.
  3. P-Dub

Ted, Thanks, no I just got it and have been going through it to get things tight.

I power washed as best I could under there and it was free of any fresh oil, I ran it for 5 minutes max and that's what was on there in the pic.

Everywhere else is oil free, it looks like up close not in the picture, that it is coming from where the assembly attaches, and no I am not seeing signs of the filter itself leaking.

4. P-Dub

I hope its not something that needs to be tightened from the inside of the engine. HA HA that would be my luck.

5. P-Dub

You know I was just looking at the pic, the one plug is not as far in as the other. Ding Ding, Ill crawl under there this am.

6. P-Dub

shoot its not a 1/4 or 3/8 square, I got to find something to try to fit in there, I dont want to buy a set of tools for it, maybe key stock, or maybe I ll grind down an old extension.

7. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just a hunch . . . You might try a shaft from your jack assembly. Well that's if your spare gets winched up under the rear of the vehicle. The shaft may not be strong enough but at least you'll know the size.

Also from what I can see online that 90° adapter is just used on 4X4s. The 2WD adapter apparently bolts to the block with bolts at the two plugs. I gather lots of people replace it with a normal vertical filter adapter.

http://server1.chevytalk.com/~tony/fusionbb/printpost.php?tid/308421/

Ted

P-Dub likes this.
  8. bazar01

bazar01 Rockstar 100 Posts

That is a 3/8 drive. There might be some rust or dirt build up.

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It might also be 7/16. Square drive plugs are available in a number of sizes.

You can buy 3/8, or 1/2" sockets to fit.

10. P-Dub

Ted, thanks for the link, that had a ton of good information in it. Looks like I need to get in there and replace the o-ring. I am a bit skeptical about the vertical mount, since it may hit my drive, there was so much cross talk, I couldnt pick out if the drive shaft was too close. But I may have to since the o rings may not be available.

I keep ya all posted on the outcome.

thanks again.