Leaking steering rack question....

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by supermanwv, Sep 11, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

I am having a problem with the steering rack leaking on my 2009 Chevy Silverado. I took it to a local Chevy dealer, and they said the area that was leaking is basically filled with fluid to keep the rack lubricated while on the shelf and not installed in a vehicle, and that they sometimes leak that oil out after installation. They basically said it was normal and should stop after a while.

Well....it hasn't stopped. And it still is leaking out of the part circled below, that sits right in from of the front crossmember, and looks like a plug that is installed with a large allan head wrench. The fluid leaks out of it and drips onto the crossmember and eventually drips off the crossmember. It doesn't seem to be blowing anywhere due to wind from truck movement. However, it does keep forming a droplet and dripping from the time I wipe it off, until the next time I check. (Usually check it once a day.)

Anyway...just wondering if any mechanics or owners on here have had or seen this problem before. Below is a pic with the questioned area circled. And it is deffinetly dripping from that area, as all other areas are dry of anything.

Check it out below and give me any feedback you can.

If you need to look at this area on your own truck...if you lay on the ground behind the front driver side tire and look right in front of the crossmember...it is right behind the hump that comes down on the crossmember where the lower A-Arm attaches. Looks like it would be hard to get to with a alan wrench....but you can get your hand between it and the crossmember.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Clark (SupermanWV)
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

I took my truck to my local dealer, and they gave the same story about they area that was leaking is the area that they add fluid too for shelf storage before it is actually installed in the truck. They say it is nothing, but it shouldn't be leaking. They also...as a safety precaution...added die to the power steering fluid to be sure it really wasn't seaping through somewhere. They said they will re-check it in a couple weeks to see if any die has leaked out.

I asked them if after the test if they would drain the system and add more power steering fluid without die. And they said probably not. So I'm assuming the die won't hurt the viscosity of the fluid for long term use.

Am I right in this assumption...or should I make them drain it and re-fill it?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Clark (SupermanWV)
  3. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

Well, my steering system is leaking....and they are going to replace something...they just called it the power steering gear....not sure what that is by their discription.

ALSO....I now have a oil leak between the engine and the transmission. It is leaking down out of a plastic cover that is back there, and down onto the bottom of the transmission housing.

I took it in to have the oil leak checked...and the guy checked the power steering again...and never checked the oil leak.

I asked if he found what was causing the oil leak and he said..."WHAT OIL LEAK, I was only told to check the power steering." I said...I brought it in for an oil leak check...not steering this time. He said...well that is what the work order told me to check. So I spoke to the service manager, and she said, well its probably the such and such causing the oil leak...so we'll order that part and replace it when we replace the steering part.

I told her, how can you assume what the problem is without looking? She said, well if that isn't the problem, when we have it in here we will go ahead and order whatever we need to fix it.... Rather than just telling the guy to bring my truck back in before I left and check it out to see what the oil problem was.

SO I IN TURN CALLED THE CHEVROLET 800 NUMBER AND THEY HAVE A REGIONAL SERVICE GUY TAKING A LOOK AT WHY THE DEALERSHIP IS SO NON-PERSONABLE WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS, AND WHY I'M HAVING SO MANY ISSUES WITH A TRUCK THAT IS 4 MONTHS OLD WITH LESS THAN 4600 MILES.

So, I'll let you all know what happens.

Too bad they didn't have the 6 month buy back on these vehicles when I was purchasing it....like they do now. Cause I would have took it back and got one with less problems. Cause I love the truck...but I could do without all the fluid leakage...

Clark
  4. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

Well, they ended up replacing the entire steering rack.

Also, they replaced something that I believe they called the oil pan gasket. It wasn't the seal that goes clear around the oil pan...but a piece somewhere above that, that had new bolts and gasket. The said the oil was leaking down from there between the motor and transmission.

So far I haven't noticed any other leaks....but it has been raining and wet around here for a while...so it may take a while to see it.

GMC ended up calling me and offereing me a 2 year 24,000 mile service agreement for free. Which gives me free oil changes, tire rotations, etc....for 2 years. This was to make me feel better for my 2009 Silverado braking within 4600 miles. I tried to get a set of Z71 wheels...but they wouldn't go for that. So I was stuck with the service agreement.

OH WELL....hopefully everything is fixed now.

Clark
  5. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

Well...the oil leak is not fixed. If anything...it is worse than before they fixed it.

I called GM back and they are getting in touch with the dealer that supposedly fixed it.

The other thing...they told me they replaced the steering rack. But I was under the truck yesterday...since it was a warm day...and checked the rack. It looks like they put some kind of goopy white stuff around where the leak was to plug it, rather than really replacing the rack. I don't know what the white stuff is, but it has a consistancy of that marshmallow creme stuff you get in a jar. And it stays sticky...doesn't dry. I don't know if that is because steering fluid is mixxing with it when it leaks or what.

I'm gonna have a few choice words for the guy from GM about the dealership when he calls me back today.

I'll keep you posted.

Clark
  6. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Member 100 Posts

Anything come of this? I'm leaking from maybe there too.
    Also, linking this thread to mine.
  7. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

Hello BornAgainBiker55,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are seeking technical advice to resolve this issue. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sounds like they used pipe dope on the threads