1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Leaking Trans Fluid

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RangerJ, Dec 8, 2012.

1. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Hello folks,I have a 1994 Chevy Z-71 4x4 auto with a 350 throttle body,The truck has 54,000 original miles. recently on a three hour trip it leaked a quart of trans fluid which covered the underside of the truck,it does not leak when sitting only when driving.

Any ideas? Thanks:grrrrrr:
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the cooler lines running up to the radiator, the overflow vent, then the dipstick, then the gasket around the pan.
    I'd buy some cleaner and hose everything down first to get it as clean as you can, after hosing it down put the rear wheels in the air on jackstands and block the front wheels, then fire it up and put it in gear let is run and see if you can find the leak.
  3. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks for the info tbplus10.Maybe that's all that wrong.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My first guess would be a leaking cooler line, if it's coming out the dipstick or vent then you've got a heat or pressure problem, could come out the dipstick if the vent is clogged, and the last item would be a bad pan gasket which given the age of the truck (even though it is low miles) wouldnt be out of order. Sitting around and not driving is bad on the seals and gaskets.
  5. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks again for your response,I plan on crawling underneath in the morning and see what I can find. I will update what and if I find the problem.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Were you towing or hauling a heavy load when it happened? Sometimes these transmissions leak fluid out the breather on the top of the transmission case when towing and the fluid gets hot. Also, how hard were you running the truck? (lots of hard acceleration and such)
  7. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Crawdaddy, was pulling an empty trailer and the cruise control set on 70 mph, no excess acceleration.Thanks for your reply. Gonna try to get my old self underneath in the morning and clean things up and see what I can find.
  8. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

I spent most of the day trying to find a leak from the trans. I cleaned off everything underneath and drove around some and crawled back under and could not find any leak.The cooler lines are good,nothing coming from fill tube,couldn't see anything from the vent tube. I am going to a mechanic friend tomorrow to put on a lift and let him look.Maybe he can find the problem.

Thanks for all the advice.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe from the overflow tube at the top of the tranny. Mine's blowing fluid from the overflow tube which is why I mention it. I've yet to address it because other than being messy it's benign (so far). It started doing this one random day; there was no obvious cause.

Keep us posted?
  10. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks brother SurrrealOne, I ran my hands all over the top of the trans and transfer case and found no fluid.I am flustered.

- - - Updated - - -

Mechanic checked it for me today and found a slight seeping from the cooler lines and stated the vent tube was wet and that's where the fluid came from,but couldn't tell me why . What causes the pressure to blow the fluid from the vent tube????

Thanks for all the responses.