1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

leaky radiator

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by TahoeFreak96, Jul 23, 2005.

1. TahoeFreak96

TahoeFreak96 New Member

I just realized that my radiator is leaking, so I put in some stop leak gunk in it and it's holding up fine, but my question is should I fix my radiator or just get an aftermarket replacement, I noticed there are 2 ports on each side of the radiator and I seen that the aftermarket radiators don't have it what are those ports for, and what type of aftermarket radiator should I get :?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What type of stuff did you put into it?

I have always used alumaseal, and it worked fine for me while I was in a pretty cool climate, like the Northwest. It started to leak on me when I was driving around in Southern California in the heat. It wouldn't have lasted in the Texas heat, that's for sure.
  3. TahoeFreak96

TahoeFreak96 New Member

I'm not sure what type it was but it was called stop leak something, was in an oval gray/silver bottle, stuff looked like vomit, lol, anyways i'm curious about an aftermarket replacement, can I do it or should I fix it?
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I dunno. I think that I only ever replaced one radiator. That was on my 1962 GMC 3/4 project truck. Just found a good looking one at a wrecking yard and had a local radiator shop recondition it for me.

As the the stop leak stuff. It will work for a while. Maybe 5,000 miles or so. Then you do it again and it will last for another 5,000 miles, etc. All the while you're making it a bit harder for the themostat to work correctly, etc. It should get you through at least 10-15K I would think though.
  5. TahoeFreak96

TahoeFreak96 New Member

i'm thinking of getting an aftermarket one, but on the radiator there are 2 lines on each end of the radiator and aftermarket ones dont have them i think, what are those lines for?
  6. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

I'm no cooling system expert, but I think one is used to drain the radiator, the other is the overflow return.
  7. ARNIE

ARNIE Rockstar

If you are talking about the plastic tanks on each side the 2 lines going into the tank are transmission fuild lines to cool the fluid. If one of the tanks is leaking they can be repaired. Takes about 30 minutes to get that readiator out and a flush and repair should run less than a $100.[/b]
  8. TahoeFreak96

TahoeFreak96 New Member

so I cant get an aftermarket radiator because they don't have those ports for the lines to go into, I might as well have it fixed then
  9. ARNIE

ARNIE Rockstar

you can buy aftermarket's.they are not hard to find. If someone shows you one without the tanks you need to shop somewhere else.