1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Leaky Valve Cover

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silverado Junkie, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys, ive got a 95 Silverado with a 350 in it. I just put on a set of chrome Spectre valve covers. My left cover (standing in front of the truck looking towards it) leaks out the side some and on the back. The other valve cover is perfect and dosnt leak. When i put on the new valve covers i also put on new gaskets. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Lots of times the aftermarket valve covers leak because there kinda flimsy, chrome are normally just stamped steel and it flex's too much.
    Felpro and Mr Gasket make real thick gaskets for these type applications.

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thanks for the advice, i appreciate the help. Should i take the valve cover back off and see if its bent or warped any because im using felpro's thick rubbery valve cover gasket for it anyway.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably.
    I'd also go with cork or felt gaskets, they seem to seal better if you do have warpage.

5. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah i would take it off and set it down on a flat smooth surface with a light under it. Check to see if you see any light coming out anywhere. If the warping is bad use a thick gasket and a little rtv sealant. In my old K5 i think i had more RTV than gasket lol.